Dr. Jordan B Peterson - Professor and clinical psychologist

Uncle Gizmo

Founding Member
Jordan Peterson has been in the news recently because his university dictated that he had to address people in a gender specific way. (I may well have that wrong!) Basically he took it as being against his right to free speech...

I've been watching a few of his videos, I'm not exactly sure where I saw it and I may have misinterpreted it but he said the essence of free speech was to be able to say something without worrying about what you were saying. I realised he was so right! You just can't have a conversation if you are monitoring what you are going to say next. In other words you are monitoring your thoughts, checking them for political correctness before you speak. It's just let's say not going to work, besides being completely wrong.

I don't really understand the political biased saying that this attack on free speech is leftist, I don't see it as a political bias to the fact that the right to free speech should be available to everyone. But I'm wandering off topic. There's a lot in this, it needs ferreting out.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Uncle, I have watched a ton of Jordan Person's stuff. He is a very smart and interesting guy, who's ideas seem to spark controversy. To me, much 'controversy' is really only when one side doesn't like the viewpoints of another. He has thought through much of the stuff he debates, while any of his opposition haven't really thought about the issues in depth at all, offering knee jerk reflexive responses based on 'common knowledge.'

In fact, I already posted a thread on him a while back: https://themindtavern.com/community/threads/jordon-peterson-this-guy-is-amazing.205/

Bee

Founding Member
I also have a lot of time for him. On the face of it, some of his soundbites seem provocative, but he always explains the logic and it's hard to refute.

Uncle Gizmo

Founding Member
Uncle, it seems like you are ploughing through a lot of his stuff right now!
Yes! I'm up to no# 7- I'll start this one tomorrow:- 2016 Personality Lecture 07: Phenomenology and Carl Rogers

The play list is:- 2016 Personality and Its Transformations (University of Toronto)

It is fascinating and providing me with some excellent insight into myself. I've had a few life experiences which shall we say were traumatic. One which I won't go into detail about In a public place, but it seriously affected my ability to do programming.

You know when you try and add up figures in your head. You sort of create a blackboard, a space, a place where you hang the numbers. When you are programming you have to adopt a similar system. You sort of draw the different elements of the problem together and sort them out. --- The trauma severely affected this ability. I could stare into space, to try and access that place, and all I could see/sense, would be like white noise, a Space which I just could not latch onto or use. This lasted for about 3 years, and I still don't think I have the full use of it, like I used to. Jordan doesn't mentioned this, I just thought it was worth mentioning.

A lot of his other ideas particularly about achieving your goals, which were also severely affected are very good, and hopefully will prove useful!

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
That sounds rather fascinating, Uncle. You have an interesting way of describing the experience. I am pleased you are getting something from Jordon Peterson. I like his ideas too.

Where did you first hear about him?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I was assuming it was from somewhere else for some reason. Pleased the Mind Tavern is giving some value add!

Uncle Gizmo

Founding Member
I was assuming it was from somewhere else for some reason. Pleased the Mind Tavern is giving some value add!
I'm not 100% sure. I did look back through my history but nothing stood out except that thread you posted. I do watch a lot of TED on YouTube and other similar stuff and occasionally they pop up some useful ideas of what else to watch.

Last edited:

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
He seems to be everywhere lately. Shot to prominence (and notoriety for some people) during his dispute with the Canadian government regarding trannie issues.

Uncle Gizmo

Founding Member
His problem wasn't with people's sexual preferences, it was with being required by law to address such people in a particular way. He described it, I thought very well, when he said it's the same as there being a law in place requiring you to say please and thank you.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you are right Uncle. I was being provocative with my comment as I was feeling mischievous!

He opposes being compelled to say things that he does not want to say. Referring to someone as Zhe, or one of the other 100 pronouns is just silly! Do it if you want to, but to be forced? No thank you!

Uncle Gizmo

Founding Member
Like most things, I believe he felt that this was the last straw, one of many eroding influences of an ideology that is taking over the education system in Canada. He felt he had to take a stand against it. It might appear a very minor thing to object to, but it is the thin end of the wedge so to speak. Also (I'm guessing) that he probably had opportunities previously to make a stand, however I guess he chose the gender issue because he knew it would be prominent newsworthy issue, and bring the advancement of the ideology out into the Open.