Coffee or tea?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I have just the one cappuccino per day. How many cups of tea and coffee does everyone here have in a typical day?

Bee

Founding Member
Mon-Thursday, no coffee but at least 5 cups of tea.
Friday 2 cups of coffee and 3-4 cups of tea
Saturday 2 cups of coffee and 2 cups of HoneyBee Rooibos
Sunday 1-2 cups of tea

When I was working, one cup Mon-Fri morning and one optional (taken about 2/3 of the time) in the afternoon. None at home ever, because I can't brew coffee at home. Linda's stomach turns on the smell of fresh-brewed coffee.

Now that I'm home all of the time, coffee is something I can only get when we are out somewhere.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
For me, USA medium roast, blended variety. Nothing fancy. For instance, Folger's is good. CDM brand (a local vendor) makes a "New Orleans blend" that is very nice in medium roast. HOWEVER... we have a local chain grocery store called "Rouse's" that offers free flavored coffee samples in small cups, perhaps demitasse size but in styrofoam. They have come out with some interesting flavors including a Hawaiian macadamia nut blend and a cinnamon spiced coffee that I have found to be quite pleasant.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I find espresso a bit strong. However, when I lived in Brighton, I used to crank up my espresso machine and sometimes do espresso + tiny bit of milky foam + fresh spray cream with vanilla essence. Was very indulgent but nice.

This week, I just found out my local Costa coffee chain is using semi-skimmed milk as the default nowadays. It used to be whole milk. So now, I have to ask for "small cappuccino, takeaway cup, extra hot, full-fat milk please." Bit of a mouthful!

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
With the exception of some (not all) of the samples from our local Rouse's Supermarkets, I have found that I can't tell much of a difference between various coffees. Perhaps because when I was still working, I drank Navy coffee - the kind that could, if needed, serve as barnacle remover. So I got burned out on coffee. I will say this about strong New Orleans coffee: At least I can taste it.

I remember going to my family reunion one year when they made a pot of coffee in a commercial brewer - a Bunn-O-Matic - and when they were finished, I could hold the glass carafe up to the light and see through the widest part. Transparent coffee - YECH! I couldn't drink it. If you can see through it, it ain't coffee - its pot-rinse water.