Coffee or tea?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I never used to like either when I was in my teens. But in my 30's, I tried a cappuccino and thought it wasn't too bad. Now I have one every day. But tea leaves me a bit cold.

What do you prefer, coffee or tea?

Bee

Founding Member
Tea.

But I'm very fussy about it. It has to be Assam tea - no blended crap for me, thanks. And it has to be made with boiling water. If the kettle comes off the boil, that's no good. I like a strong flavour, so I let the tea brew for a couple of minutes, but I also like a decent amount of milk. And people who put the milk in first... we should never speak of such evils.

I do drink coffee - Saturday mornings are spent in my local coffee shop - where I have 2 large soy lattes and a BLT. Without fail. They serve the best coffee I've ever tasted, and everyone in the town agrees.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
When I was still employed, coffee was necessary to my ability to handle work problems. I had my systems all set up to be self-maintaining in terms of cleanup, monitoring and reporting tasks, backups, ... just about any software maintenance except patching. They sent me e-mails summarizing the previous nightly activities and analyses. But without that coffee, I was dreadfully slow in the mornings if anything came up.

Now? I'll drink coffee only if we happen to be out for breakfast, which isn't often. I usually drink tea and prefer a blended tea. But in some Oriental restaurants, if they have it, I will ask for jasmine tea. I have tried other teas including lapsang souchong, Earl Gray, and a few others - but they do little or nothing for me.

Bee - you didn't say whether you sweetened your tea before adding milk, but you are technically correct to speak ill of those who add milk first. Doing so interferes with the ability of your sweetener, whatever it is, to be dissolved and to thus permeate the liquid. The natural lipids of milk decrease the solubility factor for anything else added later.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I am slow in the mornings too and feel like a zombie until I have had a coffee at my local coffee shop. Also, I occasionally like a Jasmine tea. I don't like conventional tea with milk though.

It has always puzzled me the logic behind putting milk in first. It just reduces the temperature so you can't dissolve sweeteners.

Bee

Founding Member
I don't sweeten my tea. Assam has a rich, malty flavour which has enough natural sweetness for me - but I didn't realise that the milk inhibits the solubility of the sweetening agent too - I just assumed it lowered the temperature.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Both effects, actually. Coefficient of solubility depends on the composition of the solvent AND is affected by temperature. (The chemist in me suddenly rises to the top.) Adding cream affects the chemical composition of the solvent and lowers temperature, so adding cream first is a double whammy. I would have to read the label and think hard about it to know whether non-dairy powdered creamer affects the composition of the water + tea in a way to interfere with sweetener solubility. Since it is non-dairy, I'm inclined to say "no effect" or "less effect than dairy."

Insane_AI

Founding Member
Both., and variety.
I start my day with a Columbian brew and hazelnut creamer. I used to drink it black but can't stomach it well enough any more. I like cold brew in the summer.

For tea, I prefer the herbal blends to the straight up tea.

Insane_AI

Founding Member
Cold brew coffee: Its ground a bit more course than drip coffee (normal) and left out on the counter in a French press overnight. It tends to have a nuttier flavor, less acid and more caffeine. My favorite is Gevalia Costa Rican.

Insane_AI

Founding Member
In the summer, I drink it cold (room temp, not iced). In the Winter, I add extra coffee grounds then warm it with boiling water from my kettle. (1/2 and 1/2)

At least when the subject is beer, the brew temperature is also considered the best temperature at which to drink your beer. American beers tend to be cold-brewed whereas German beers are often warm-brewed. Don't know about UK beers.

I don't drink warm beer. Actually, if you get right down to it, I don't drink cold beer that often either. First, with liver issues that include non-alcoholic sources of cirrhosis, alcohol isn't welcome in my diet. But second, when I was a young musician on Bourbon Street, I decided I didn't need to be the middle-man. Beer goes in yellow and foamy, comes out yellow and foamy. Before or after, if you let it set out uncovered for long enough, it starts to stink. So I gave up beer.