Bit of a slump

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Jon, it looks like this forum has dwindled in participation to non-existent. I know it costs good money to keep it going. If you have limited traffic, you can't be making much in advertising revenues. I can't see the financials for this (and really don't want to know). But I am curious as to whether you have been thinking about pulling the plug. You can see stats that I can't, but it seems to me that you only get a few visitors. I see no new posts by any of the other members and have only seen a couple that you started. Having never hosted a site before, I am curious in the factors that will let you decide the difference between "a bit of a slump" and "the start of a trend."

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Doc, there is no additional cost to having this site running since I have it hosted with some other sites I own.

Yes, there are few posts, little traffic. But I am not looking for anything financial from here. I will keep this going and have no intention on pulling the plug for years. Anyone can come and go as they please, and that includes me!

It would be great if there was more participation, but like anything, sometimes these things get traction and sometimes they don't. It has had a fair few posts over the last year. Maybe Google will give it some love one day!

Uncle Gizmo

Founding Member
I love this site, and I wish I could be more active. The first problem is I'm very busy at the moment, and the second problem is the things I want to talk about are so Woolly and unformed in my disorganised brain. Also, on the other end of the scale I'm embarrassed to say what I'm thinking because it's controversial, and the way that people are treated, people who speak their minds, express free speech, some end up being ostracised from all sorts of places, just makes me worry! If they can destroy the lives of top thinkers, University lecturers, and the like What the hell would they do to me! You never know what effect a tarnished reputation can have on your life... Still if I don't do it, I shall never know where my thoughts and ideas could take me...

Last edited:

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Uncle, I am curious what it is you love about this place?

I personally think you should let your thoughts loose here. This is what the forum is about. I go on about "voting is futile" and get my fair share of stick! I for one would like to know what your controversial views are. You might find that I share them! I tend to have a perspective that is on the fringe, so safety in numbers!

Hi everyone

Not sure if this post will go through, anyway, I joined a while back and I first posted earlier on today, although somehow that disappeared.

I think this is a great forum in terms of content potential, because of the topics discussed.

Personally I think there should be more discussion on philosophy, mental health as well as memorisation techniques. These are great topics but I believe not enough people discuss them.

Nice one @Jon! It's great to have a place like this to discuss these subjects with like-minded people. Also, the name "The Mind Tavern" is cool and somehow conjures up the image of a cosy place for the brain :)