Anxiety of the unknown

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned in another thread, I may be facing impending legal issues that could a) cost me a big chunk of money, and b) take down my entire ecommerce business. The completely unknown nature of the outcome is a heart pounding experience. And knowing you will have to wait for a long time to find the outcome is a bit daunting to say the least. It is like having an axe hanging over your head that could fall at any time.

Anyone here had a similar legal experience? Or just experience anxiety about the unknown future?

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Thank you, Jon. That's a politer way than some others have expressed it, that sometimes my thoughts go sideways. I was never any good at coloring between the lines.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
You're welcome Doc. I used to love reading about Lateral Thinking as coined by Edwards de Bono.

Insane_AI

Founding Member
I started my book on mindfulness and have listened to the first two lessons three times each and still need to go back over it but there are some interesting points made so far.

1. Anxiety is healthy in an evolutionary sense. Learning to anticipate danger while seeking comfort is how we came to be what we are now.
Consider this: There is a big yellow-brown lump on the other side of the bush. If you assume it is a lion, get scared and run away when it is only a rock you can afford the mistake with only a little anxiety and stress to show for it. If you assume it is a rock and it turns out to be a lion, you only get the make that mistake once and your genetic material does not live on. Conclusion: We are the product of the smart and / or lucky ancestors.

2. Learning to be mindful includes fully experiencing your emotions and surroundings. Acknowledge them and meet them head on to minimize pain and suffering. (My therapist is coming through on this part) Put it into a logical box and decide what can be done but more importantly what are YOU doing about it.

Jon,
I also own a trucking company with my brother. We have come close to bankruptcy twice this year alone with the latest case still in progress of recovery. I don't know the laws the in the UK but in the USA, each business I have set up has been a separate legal entity from myself and from each other. If one goes down, it doesn't have to take the others with it. I manage the stress like this: Either I'm all in or I'm all out. I'm already invested fully and as the financial guarantor for the businesses, I would lose it all anyway with some possible exceptions so I may as well throw everything I have at it until it becomes clear that I will lose.

I suggest you let your legal team fight the battle of Win or Lose, you focus on plan B and how to recover in the aftermath. If you manage to survive this, you will be better off. If you fail, you will at least be prepared and have a plan to follow or deviate from rather than letting the circumstances determine your reactions. It's easier said than done.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, Insane_AI, you seem to have had your own fair share of stress too then. Whenever you run your own business, there is a risk involved that can turn your brain into mush. At this stage, I don't have a legal team. I am only a tiny business. Me verses a $60bn company. :eek::(

Ultimately, I may have to reinvent what I do. Go back into something to do with computers, who knows.

Last edited:

Insane_AI

Founding Member
Jon,

Does the UK have a Small Business Administration? We have multiple at varying levels of government and community organizations that have the sole purpose of helping small businesses find resources. You may find a lawyer willing to serve as your champion.

Insane_AI

Founding Member
Does that not make bootstrapping your business an impossible task?
It took about two days with the small business administration for us to get it all in line, including the articles of incorporation and partnership agreement and it all cost me less than $500.00.

buying the truck and paying the insurance premiums was a planned expense and we saved for those before opening up.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
There might be something similar to your Small Business Administration, although I alway imagine that the US probably has more help. (Do you use US or USA or are they interchangeable?)

Regarding lawyers, I am cringing at the thought of it all.

Insane_AI

Founding Member
I have become more cognizant to use USA as opposed to US or America. Although while typing I should also differentiate between The U.S.A vs. Usa, Japan which is used to trick quick label readers into thinking it's a locally produced product in the U.S.A.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Sneaky of the Japanese!

Is there any difference between US and USA? I am sure I've seen it used interchangeably.

Insane_AI

Founding Member
US vs. USA United States / United States of America.

The biggest significance to me is whether the supplier or downstream vendor wants our data in 2char or 3char country codes. Otherwise, I think they are interchangeable.

Well, here's the tricky part. Below I have reproduced the Preamble to the US Constitution:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

The preamble uses it both ways - once WITH and once WITHOUT "America." Therefore, even our constitution is ambiguous as to the correct name. However, our designation with the United Nations is "United States of America." In the link, the "official" list of member nations and their names uses the long name (with America).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_United_Nations

Therefore, I'm currently of the opinion that to be obsessively precise, one would use USA. HOWEVER, since Europe chose the EU abbreviation for European Union and nobody else is structured that way, no other nation has the phrase "United States" in its name. Therefore, the use of US as a national abbreviation is unambiguous.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I just spoke with a lawyer about my trademark application. I am withdrawing it. I cannot fight a huge company. They will just drain me of cash. My next worry is if they send me a Cease and Desist letter, stopping me from using my brand name for the last 3 years. If they do, my Amazon business goes kaput, as does half my income. :cry:

At least I have a plan on what to do now. It is all about taking action that minimises my risk of loss. If I do go to battle, I could lose all my life savings trying to fight it all.

The trick is to rebrand yourself. Watch out for the brand speculators. I heard a story on a news program (so no, not apocryphal) about how the company that used to be Humble Oil, then became Esso and eventually became Exxon got caught by a brand-name speculator. Apparently this guy found out that Esso was going to rebrand, so he invested a bunch of money in taking out trademarks (without a product). It's legal. He got lucky and hit Exxon, so after the rebranding, the guy pops up and demands that Esso cease and desist calling themselves Exxon. But of course, he allowed himself to be talked out of it for a nominal fee.

So if you want to rebrand yourself, just do a thorough search of registered trademarks first.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I have withdrawn my trademark application this morning. If they decide to send a Cease and Desist letter latter on, I am nuked. Lets hope they don't.

Yes, rebranding would be great, but it is not as easy as you think. It would mean that I lose all 400 reviews on Amazon that took 3 years to create. I will be starting again in an extremely competitive marketplace without reviews. It is a recipe for disaster.

After all is said and done, sometimes adversity proves to be a blessing in disguise. For example, it could spur me on to a different direction that may provide greater satisfaction.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I had an insight this afternoon. The third part of the Four Noble Truths in Buddhism states this:

The cessation of suffering comes with the cessation of craving.
This is interesting because I crave for my brand to continue. If I get a Cease and Desist, then my brand cannot continue. My suffering is coming from my craving for its continuity. That is the cause of my suffering.