What sex is your brain?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Over 10 years ago, I took a test on the BBC website about what sex my brain was. It attempts to determine if you are more on the masculine or feminine side. I was prompted to post this based on Uncles comments that he feels he falls on the more feminine side. With this in mind, I am posting a link to the test I took all those years ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sex/index_chooselogin.shtml

You need to enable flash and zoom in on the page, as the text is tiny!

I discovered I was more on the feminine side too, although I dispute the findings since I believe if you are an outlier, the model breaks down. For example, on spatial awareness, women get a lower score than men. e.g. 12/20 while men get 15/20. I got 19/20 (the 12/20 and 15/20 are estimates from memory). So that makes me more masculine. I scored higher than the average for men on all the tests. I scored higher than the average for women on all the tests. So how is it I am more feminine if I am more masculine?

Anyway, it was interesting to take and I learnt something about myself.

Bee

Founding Member
I do love a test. I've started it, but don't seem to be able to progress beyond the angles page. However, this is my result so far:

This task tested your ability to make spatial judgments.
You correctly matched 19 line(s) out of 20.
On average, men generally outperform women at this task, although it is important to note that many women score extremely well.

Males may generally score higher because they tend to pay more attention to space or the geometry of the world around them. Differences such as this may reflect differences in the brain.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Bee, you got the same as me on the angles test then! But since men generally outperform women on this test, you can say you kinda beat me on it, even though you didn't! You did better than your cohort compared to me.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I feel beat anyway. I've got a chess match in 40 minutes and I feel shattered. My play will be feeble tonight.