What do you think about homeless people?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a little confused by your narcissist statement. I mean that might be true?

Doc, I put those into the bad luck part of the decision making and luck statement I made earlier. Some people are born prone to depression, for example. Most of us have issues we have to deal with. Within the confines of luck and issues, we do have choices. Some people may be out on the streets through no fault of their own. But I believe many are through their own personal choices.

I had a friend who went homeless, living in his car. Why? Because he kept overspending. He would go to the local petrol station and buy 30 cans of Red Bull for £1.50 per can. If he went to the supermarket, which was only an extra 2 minutes by car, he can get them for £1 per can. He knows this, but he just couldn't be bothered. So, he wasted £15 for the convenience. I said why not get the unbranded energy drinks from the supermarket, that cost 30p each. He said no, he wanted the Red Bull. He drank 10 cans per day. That is £450pm.

He built up a debt of £3,000 on his credit cards when he went homeless (it is now £11K). Despite having virtually no commitments except car upkeep and £400pm rent, and getting a fairly reasonable income of say £2,500 to £3,000 pm, he was going into debt. He was already made bankrupt for overspending about 10 years earlier. He said he doesn't believe in paying money for accommodation.

A 20 per day smoking habit was also costing him about £300pm.

So some people may feel sorry for him, being homeless and sleeping in his car. But he was spending £750pm on Red Bull and cigarettes. He was having takeaways all the time, rather than cooking for himself. It was all self-induced.

And for the record, the two other people I referred to earlier in this thread who were unemployed for 15 years, they both went bankrupt too. All three were friends too.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused by your narcissist statement. I mean that might be true?
You asked for an example of what the homeless person I know says. That statement is one of many things he says.

As for your Red Bull guy example, do you think there's nothing wrong in his head?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
The homeless guy might just be stating something factual. I don't know.

As for your Red Bull guy example, do you think there's nothing wrong in his head?
Do you think it is impossible for people to make bad choices unless there is something wrong with them? Is lazinesses not a thing?

If I forgot to turn the fan on and I sat down and now I can't be bothered to get up again to turn it on, that's laziness.

But when the choices you make lead you to overspend, which then leads you to become homeless, all because he wanted to buy Red Bull where he did, to me does not sound like laziness - it sounds like there's a lot more going on in their head.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
It is not all about him wanting to buy Red Bull where he did. It is a collection of reasons. You can be a little bit lazy on a lot of things and they aggregate.

I was very lazy at school. Had a bad attitude. I blame myself entirely. It had knock-on effects. But I've reinvented myself multiple times over the years and have become a perpetual learner. I've fought to take control of my own compass. It involves sacrifice, all this studying. Some don't want to make that sacrifice. Are they wrong in the head because they don' want to? I don't think so. It is just personal choice.

We can say someone is "wrong" to go to a convenience store, with higher prices, because they value their time more than the additional travel. We can blame that on them being wrong in the head. Then they may say you are wrong in the head for not wanting to make things easy for yourself by going for convenience.

Why don't we ban petrol stations from selling drinks and confectionary, because we can then help "cure" those who are wrong in the head?

You can be a little bit lazy on a lot of things and they aggregate.
Once again, to be a little bit lazy on a lot of things which then aggregate makes me think of the compulsive hoarders.

In other words, the problem becomes big enough to have a serious impact on your day to day life. That's classic mental health, right there. Note that I've written compulsive hoarder but you may as well replace that with your lazy acquaintance. The end result is the same.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
So your view is that the owner of a small business that fails has mental problems?

Your view is that overweight people have mental problems?

Your view is that the poor have mental problems?

Your view is that smokers have mental problems?

My lazy acquaintance is not lazy on everything. He keeps his car very clean. He goes on hikes that can last 3 hours. He will travel long distances, for hours in his car, to see friends. I think what you are saying is that he has mental problems because he is prioritising things that you do not prioritise, and that you have the "right" priorities.

Last edited:
So your view is that the owner of a small business that fails has mental problems?

Your view is that overweight people have mental problems?

Your view is that the poor have mental problems?

Your view is that smokers have mental problems?
What prompted you to suggest any of the above?

My lazy acquaintance is not lazy on everything. He keeps his car very clean. He goes on hikes that can last 3 hours. He will travel long distances, for hours in his car, to see friends.
Well, this acquaintance of yours certainly seems to have a unique character.

I think what you are saying is that he has mental problems because he is prioritising things that you do not prioritise, and that you have the "right" priorities.
Fair enough. I may very well have stereotypical views about "right" priorities. For example, I may consider not being homeless a priority.

But you're right - this does not mean that such priority is a universal one. It is right for me, but who am I to say it should be right for that acquaintance you speak of?