Torn between two lovers, feeling like a fool

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I was pondering on something the other day, and came to an insight I would like to share. It involves my hate of Apple products, yet also some kind of attachment too. The whole iSheep thing going on, where Apple fanboys blindly flatter everything they release riles me. It is as though someone has removed their brain and put in a Pavlovian lever. Their overpriced products are overrated, in my view. Yet they still hold some kind of strange fascination for me.

Here is my insight. I think I have identified the source for this strange cognitive dissonance. The feature laden, great value for money Android and Windows ecosystems make perfect logical sense. Left brain rational thinking. Yet the status inducing premium priced Apple products tap into the right brained emotional response. Poor value for money but evolutionary, we seek status building as a survival mechanism.

There, I have laid it bare. My internals splattered onto a plate for all to see. Dysfunctional thinking of the highest order, or merely a byproduct of millions of years of programming, from which I am helpless?

[Edit: I felt this deserves to go in the Mental Health & Support section. :LOL:]

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
For what it is worth, each of us probably has that fixation on SOME subject. For guys in the USA, there is that Chevy/Ford/Chrysler triangle. We know that mechanically, GM vehicles are quite sound. Chrysler products are pretty tough, too. But Ford still sells vehicles despite the acronyms that have been reverse-engineered: Found On Road Dead and Fix Or Repair Daily.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I have strange feelings towards BMW's, with prejudice towards their drivers. I won't say what I think on here, for risk of offending! But apparently, after a bit of Googling, it is 'a thing'. There is some image problem with BMW. Not sure where it comes from. I also find the name 'Sony' to have evil connotations for me. Not sure where that came from either!

Bee

Founding Member
I drive an Audi. I have a pathological dislike of BMW drivers. There are those who have a similar dislike of Audi drivers. And so the world turns.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
For a while, the "Western World" had a thing about Japanese products. For that reason, Panasonic products were not that popular at first, though it turned out to be a good brand. The Technics imprimatur, a label owned by Panasonic, is the brand name on my electronic organ. I can tell you it is a good product. But that pathological dislike is known among organists just as drivers have their favorite cars. FWIW, the other brand I like would be the Wersi, but they are off-again, on-again. And I used to love Lowrey (a brand of Chicago Music Co.) until they became obsessed with their own gadgets at the expense of giving the "purist" organist more features.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Bee, the dislike of Audi drivers is not so much a 'thing' as the BMW drivers. I read an article about the branding problem they have. Nowadays, just for kicks, if someone carves me up on the road, or pulls out in front, the first thing I check for is if they are a BMW driver. Thus, I feed my bias.