The Movies thread

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Speaking of "12 Angry Men" - that was my high school class play. I was in a speech class as an elective subject and you could get extra credit by participating in the play in some way. In my junior year, we did that play. I read for parts and got juror 10 (the bigot). I got to make rants about "those people who multiply like vermin, you know what I mean, can't trust them any farther than..." - at which point the banker (forget his number) steps in and tells me that he has had enough and to just shut UP. I also had some "business" about having a summer cold due to the recent rain.

We were a bunch of high-school kids but we put a lot of work into it and it paid off. The company that owned the rights would sell a package to high schools - fixed fee for the rights to use it for a three-night run. That covered copyrights and clerical overhead for them and it was a good deal for the schools because it was an educational benefit. (Good advertising for the copyright owners.) Our director, Mr. Summers, arranged for it all and got the required permissions from the school and the parents.

We put in three months of rehearsals. The Thursday night that was our opening night, we had about 500 people in the audience but that was enough in that it "paid the nut." (Slang for "covered the three-night rental fee" and implying that any other money we made, the school could keep.) Friday night was a 700+ audience and Saturday night we had an official head count of over 950 paid attendance. We were stoked because the school's auditorium was full all the way to the last row! It was AWESOME to see that from the stage. There is NOTHING so exhilarating as to see a "full house" for an audience. I learned that in high school and again as an organist with our little rock band that I was in during my college days.

The party afterwards was great, nobody got very drunk (well, maybe just a little...), and the school officials LOVED us. After all, we brought in revenue in an honest venture that portrayed the school's Fine Arts department in a good light and it was a peaceful, relatively cheap endeavor. As you pointed out, Jon, it is a minimalist story with a cast of 13 (12 jurors and a bailiff) and no music required. We needed a decent table, a few props, 12 chairs, and a door frame as the way in or out of the deliberation room. True minimalist.

By the way - as a play, "12 Angry Men" IS a one-room situation. The 1957 movie (directed by Sidney Lumet with actors Henry Fonda, E.G. Marshall, Jack Klugman, Edward Binns, Lee J. Cobb, Jack Warden, and several other notable character actors) included a couple of outdoor scenes where they gave their verdict in the courtroom and then went outside where the rain was dissipating. But that was added for the movie.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Ahh Doc, so The 12 Angry Men has a special significance for you. I preferred the 1957 version of the movie, with Henry Fonda. The remake was ok, but there was something timeless about the classic one. It often appears in the top 10 movies of all times list on IMDB.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
While I didn't go for a career in acting, I was never again plagued with stage fright. So the entire experience of being in that play was special and the fact that it was 12 Angry Men was just coincidence - but it brought out something about movies and acting.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Many people put stage fright and the fear of public speaking above death of the fear scale. I think it stems from being judged by the group, which back in neandertal times, that could have meant ostracisation and so near certain death. Maybe the two are intimately connected.

But to be able to cure yourself of stage right is a great thing. I went to a Toastmasters group for a while, where they teach you some of the skills. I could cope with a smaller group of say 8 to 10 people. But when I tried it in a larger city with 25 people, I nearly pooped my pants! Ironically, when I was about 30, I did a talk on computer tech stuff for nearly an hour and there was about 50 people watching, at this computer exhibition. It was so popular, there was a splinter group afterwards with about 7 hardcore nerds, firing all sorts of questions at me!

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Been there, done that. Early in my career, the Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) had not yet been bought out. They had a users group called DECUS (DEC Users Society). At different times I stood up before a group of - as you say - hardcore nerds, making presentations on the topic of DEC "Magic" - to be taken as some unusual or bizarre solution to a knotty programming problem on a DEC system. It had to be about something that was solved by thinking WAY outside the box. Ended up getting a 3rd place the first time I presented my event about using a magnetic tape method to fix another tape drive's misbehavior. Got a 1st place the second time regarding a destroyed - but yet fully recovered- directory structure. That last one disqualified me from future presentations. (Once you are a top "Magic" presenter, you cannot present any more.) I'm going to say that last one was with about 300 people in the crowd, but it might have been more.

Between that event and playing organ in front of audiences as a "warm-up" act, I have not been bothered by speaking before crowds since the 1980s.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Back to the subject of movies... It wasn't recent at all, but my favorite movie of all time is Forbidden Planet with Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis, and Leslie Nielsen in a dramatic role - where he gets the girl! It was also the movie that introduced Robbie the Robot. The crew members of the star cruiser C57-D read like a Who's Who of cowboy actors - James Drury, Earl Holliman, Richard Anderson, Jack Kelly - all of them eventually with leading or side-kick roles in some great western TV or movie productions.

The part that was so great is that it was a reasonably literate adaptation of Shakespeare's The Tempest and stayed close to the concept that too much power vested in the hands of someone not ready to wield that power can be a disastrous thing. Plus the effects and the concept of an invisible energy monster being driven from someone's subconscious mind made it that much more fun.