The Hexaco Personality Inventory test - take it now!

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
If you would like to get some insight into your own personality and inner workings, you have got to take this test. It is excellent! It will only take you about 15 to 20 minutes and the time is well spent. Your personality is then broken down into 6 dimensions. Each of these are broken down into a further 4 subcategories.

To share one insight, I always considered myself to be fairly conventional. Conventional clothes, conventional appearance etc. But then the Hexaco test said I was highly unconventional. Woah!! This was news to me. Then I started to rationalise..."I eat everything with chopsticks. Maybe there is something to this Hexaco test!"

Learn about yourself now by taking the test. Report back your findings and let us know if you learnt anything about yourself too!

http://hexaco.org/hexaco-online

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
OK, I bit.

I won't post numbers. According to the test, I had my highest scores in: Fairness, Diligence, Creativity. I had my lowest scores in: Dependence, Flexibility, Patience. I was outside of the middle 80% in: Fairness (high), Diligence (high), Creativity (high), and at the 90% mark for Openness to Experience. None of my lows were below the 10% mark though a few were below the 50% mark.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
It is sometimes hard to see your own reflection. The Hexaco test benchmarks you against others. When I took the test, I was nodding to myself while looking at the results, thinking this is the first test that seems to accurately reflect who I am. Then I got the outliers which helped me understand myself more deeply.

Bee

Founding Member
I did this assessment a while back and learned a couple of things about myself.

Areas where I scored higher on the test than my own assessment, included:
Sincerity, fairness, sentimentality, patience, conscientiousness, and unconventionality. Those aspects were significantly above the mean also.

Areas where I scored lower than my self-assessment, or lower than the mean, included:
Fearfulness, perfectionism, anxiety, and social boldness.

It would also appear I'm not as modest as I'd like to think, but I'm more altruistic than I gave myself credit for. Yes, the irony is intentional ;)

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
One thing to throw into the mix, and this is something I forgot to mention but asked Bee to do before taking the test. Write down what you think you will score for each element. That is 24 guesstimates. Why? Because we backward rationalise our scores using the hindsight bias. When you try to guess beforehand, you cannot then succumb to this bias. Then you can more accurately compare pre- and post-scores.

I have been reading a great book called "Thinking in Bets." It is all about improving your decision making, how to think more in probabilities (bets) and what biases influence our decisions. It covers such things as motivated reasoning, hindsight bias, self-serving bias, black and white thinking, and so on. Recommended if you want to improve your future bets. Incidentally, the author was a world class Poker player who made millions from her thinking in bets.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I had a very low score on aesthetics too. No wonder I can't ever remember going to an art gallery!