The God of a thousand ears

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I know in Christianity, prayer is a thing, and presumably God can hear your prayers. Do Muslims also pray? Hindus?

This is one reason why God may be made of silicon. It must be hard to listen simultaneously to thousands of prayers, yet parallel processing with advanced computers make this possible.

Is there a limited capacity to listen to all these prayers at once and remember them all? I can juggle 7 units of data in my mind at once, plus or minus 2. Anything more than that and I turn to jelly.

Can you pray and get a wrong number, perhaps connecting with the devil instead? I am a bit ignorant on religion, so I will leave it up to the experts.

Uncle Gizmo

Founding Member
I know in Christianity, prayer is a thing, and presumably God can hear your prayers. Do Muslims also pray? Hindus?
The Muslims and a Christian Gods' are different. In fact the Muslims maintain there's is the only one true god and other gods do not exist. So if you tell a Muslim that you believe in God, and you don't mean the Muslim God, Then I think you are committing quite a serious crime in their Eyes. This is why they can take men and women for slaves and cut the men's heads off with no apparent remorse, because if you don't believe in the Muslim god you are not classed as a human in Their Eyes.

I am a bit ignorant on religion, so I will leave it up to the experts.
Ditto!

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Actually, Uncle G, they are not different. Worship of Allah and the Islamic faith are descended from one of the tribes of Israel. I believe it was the sons of Ham.

Based on a long dialog, I recall from the Access World forum that the Muslims recognize Jesus. Not as a savior but as a prophet. In the "Are You an Atheist" thread, Aziz Razul and I had a long-winded discussion that included that Allah and Jehovah and Yahweh are ALL God.

Aziz commented, among other things, that Adam was the first Muslim. Given how Judaism and Christianity treat Adam, that can only happen of they are all based on the same starting point. He later claims that Adam was mentioned in the Torah and the Koran as though they were the same person. While he and I argued a lot over religion, I do not doubt his comments that suggested that the three religions (Islam, Judaism, and Christianity) had an overlapping starting point - the Pentateuch.

As is always the case, when a basic religion develops two sides of the same argument, you are ripe for a schism. Judaism (as we currently know it) and Islam were the first schism. Christianity and Judaism were the 2nd schism. Fast forward to Martin Luther for the Protestant schism. And now the USA Treasury Dept. recognizes well over 1200 distinct religions for tax exemption purposes. And that number is probably low.

But all of those religions started together. The interesting part is that Islam also has the commandments including "Thou shalt put no other gods before me." Which can only make sense if other gods existed to have been put in that unwise place. So Islam can claim there are no other gods, but I'll have to take that statement cum grano.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
You can find my exchange with Aziz in the appropriate thread about six or seven pages back from the last page. Post was in the upper 5900s.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
It appears that the distinction comes about when you talk about the Trinity. Muslims, because they do not consider Jesus as anything but a prophet, cannot accept the beliefs steeped in the Trinity. But there are differences that originate from the New Testament. Apparently, the OT God and in particular, the God of the Torah CAN be more compatible with Allah.

https://www.rzim.org/read/rzim-global/do-muslims-and-christians-worship-the-same-god - an exploration of some of the doctrinal differences.

https://www.thecatholicthing.org/2015/12/17/do-muslims-and-christians-worship-the-same-god/ - an exposition on why they are the same