Should we edit the genes of babies?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
We now have the technology to edit the code of life. Crispr Cas9 is a new method for rather accurately editing segments of your DNA., a breakthrough in modern science.

Let me give a few examples of how it might be used:
- You want your child to have green eyes, so you force it
- You want to dumb down your child's intelligence, as you like to stay the Alpha
- You want to change your child's ethnicity, so they benefit from affirmative action
- Your child identifies as being a woman, but was born with man bits. So, you give them the change they want.
- You want your child to have blonde hair, blue eyes and a built in Nazi salute
- Your baby was born puny, so you want to beef it up, due to your love of wrestling

Given this new discovery, should we edit the genes of the unborn, or even those who are born?

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
At least a couple of those are not genetically modifiable in the normal sense.

I have offered other explanations of gender dysphoria (identifying as the gender opposite from the visible secondary sex characteristics.) That is at least partly a condition of birth, or at least is likely to be that. A P.E.T. scan would clarify it.

Being born puny is also a case of "too little, too late."

This is ethically a very tough question. I have no problem with genetic testing to see if the child would have some terrible disease like Tay-Sachs syndrome or one of the other child-killer genetic disorders. If something COULD be done, fine. But to genetically engineer a child just for jollies is a step away from evolution through RANDOM gene shuffling. I think that is a bad step.