Share your Knowledge Tree

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I have always been curious about what people have in their Knowledge Trees, how they structure it and the volume of material. So, with this in mind, I am sharing mine! To fill you in, I re-started using SuperMemo from scratch around March 2018 I believe it was. Since then, I have been steadily adding material on an ongoing basis.

If you want to share yours in this thread too, then great!

Attachments

Last edited:
While I don't have any particular experience with SuperMemo, I've struggled for a long time with the best way to categorize large amounts of information. A tree hierarchy in general I find is insufficient because there's so many things that have cross-cutting concerns. For example, if you have a topic about Flight, and you have some books and some videos, and you also have a section for Books, can you take an entry and put the single entry into both Books and Flight levels of the tree?

In the past, I've found wikis to be a great way to do this, namely due to the tagging system, because you can easily create those kinds of relationships with tags. Wiki markup has largely fallen out of favor for Markdown instead though, but there's no good markdown style wikis out there (and I've looked, and considered creating my own).

In my tech career I've been working with graph database (Neo4j specifically, based on the Property Graph Model), which is really impressive technology and I think would be a great fit for something like this, but alas I haven't found any off the shelf software to help model and categorize things this way.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I understand where you are coming from. When I am dumping information into Evernote (and now also OneNote), there seems to be an opportunity cost if it can fit equally well in 2 or more areas. Some people prefer to use tags in Evernote. In fact, there has been much discussion on this issue in their forum, where people have been asking for a better hierarchical functionality.

Which side of the fence do I fall under? I prefer the hierarchy. It suits my brain better. I take a hit on its inability to be found in all places relevant. People seems to have a very binary view on this and I wonder if the preference is down to personality differences?

Regarding SuperMemo, some don't categorise at all. Everything is just dumped into the one area. The idea of this software is that you will have 95% recall of everything anyway, so to some extent, you don't need to "find it" since it should be in your memory banks! However, I like to structure mine as I like the orderliness of it all. It makes sense to take the learnings from my book and put it under <Book name>, then <chapter>.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
We all have to start somewhere. I have found mine has evolved over time. The great thing about the Supermemo Knowledge Tree (as opposed to Anki's), is that it is much more flexible.