Pets as Therapy

Bee

Founding Member
There is a lot of research about the positive effects of owning a pet on mental (and physical) well-being. Do you own any pets, and if so, what are they - and why did you choose that pet? Do you find that your pet provides comfort?

Feel free to post pet pics!

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Good post there Bee. I like the idea of those cat cafes, where people can go in there and pet them. Great for calming the nerves! Something about all that fur!

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
As a kid I had dogs, but our area wasn't kind to them. Mom had allergies so we couldn't bring them in the house. They had a doghouse, but our neighborhood was prone to flooding and sometimes (back then) the predictions for flooding rains just weren't made very well. Eventually, after losing three or four pets (including a bunny, some chicks, and a couple of dogs) I realized that pets in our area were ephemeral and I lost interest. Now, I have the time but my wife has allergies and I won't keep a pet outside in bad weather any more so... no more pets for Doc.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Doc, you could get one of those Sony robotic ones. I think they understand commands better than a real one!

I had a client years ago who had a wooden dog in their home. I always thought she seemed a bit cold. Very low maintenance though!

FiFi

Founding Member
I just got a puppy for a number of reasons...
1. Reduce stress
2.more exercise
3.My eldest daughter has started uni, so the puppy has kind of filled the gap she has left.
4.He is my 50th birthday pressies to myself 😁
Trouble is, he is a little bundle of trouble but he's amazing and brought so much joy to our lives!!

FiFi

Founding Member
It's banned until December 1st. I dreamt last night my kids put the Xmas devs up in August...*shudder* I love Christmas but not when you see Christmas stuff in shops before halloween!

Uncle Gizmo

Founding Member
I've always had an affinity for animals. That picture of me with that horse, I was just walking a footpath across a field and the horse come along beside me and followed me. My daughter took the picture! We have a lovely dog Lucy a Labrador. They are full of love, it's no wonder that they are a beneficial to health and well-being. One of the meditations is to focus on something that you appreciate. I focus on the dog in its capacity to love without judgement.