Off yer head

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, great to see you here Uncle Gizmo. I recognised that name as soon as it popped on the new members list. :)

Haha, naming these sections is not the easiest thing to do. Nor is knowing what sections to create.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Around this group, this topic might be a pot-boiler, not a water-cooler. Intellectual discussions for the sake of intellect will probably draw in more than a few "fervent" ideas.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I concur. We have a great core of founding members. It would be nice is there was a little more diversity adding to the discussion.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
"Diversity is our strength. " Sounds almost like something Commander Spock of Star Trek (the original) would say. In fact, there was an episode - I believe called "Is There In Truth No Beauty" - in which Spock wore his IDIC medallion - with the letters standing for "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations." The Vulcans revered the idea of meeting new species to see how their cultures could interact. Spock, being half-and-half between Earth human and Vulcan, was perhaps a bit more diverse than everyone was ready to accept (or so the story goes), but it is still an interesting viewpoint.

Bee

Founding Member
Well, of course, Star Trek was right out there in terms of diversity. Cast, stories, objectives, 'that kiss'. Good stuff.

Yes, I recall the "kiss." Very controversial at the time, but Shatner and Nichols played their parts. And of course in the Star Trek movie reboot, Spock and Uhura are an "item."

Bones wasn't racist. His problem with Spock was personality differences. He gave Spock a hard time in the same way that you might give a friend a hard time but in a loving way. More than once, Bones admitted his feelings towards Spock, though as a determined and die-hard curmudgeon, he couldn't let it slip that he actually LIKED the guy. Wasn't quite the stage of a "bromance" but they were close.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Doc, I remember that too. There was this underlying affection but superficial frustration with one another. I was only being provocative. ;)

Kirk was good, but Shatner was SUCH a hack that sometimes I had to laugh at his overacting.

Picard, on the other hand, was an incredibly good captain for an exploratory vessel.

The rebooted Kirk hasn't clicked with me one way or the other, and Janeway didn't do that much either.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Picard was smooth. Kirk...yes, very hammy acting. But he was just the man! He performed the role superbly!

I found the new Kirk a bit too cocky and arrogant. Maybe they brought him in for the ladies.

Bee

Founding Member
It took me a long time to get used to Janeway. Then once I had, she became a favourite. And I know you aren't a misogynist. You just occasionally need a bit of a talking to ;)