Nature verses Nurture

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
What governs how we think? Is it encoded in our genes, or is it a result of environmental influence? Where does the balance lie? Express as a percentage if you can. e.g. 70% nature, 30% nurture.

I think, therefore I am. But do you think that because of your genes or the environment?

Last edited:

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
That looks like an interesting video, and I would watch it if I had the time. Can you give us the one sentence synopsis? Where does the balance lie?

There's no one sentence synopsis.

The video explains the dangers of 'thinking in categories' (two such categories possibly being nature and nurture), and drives viewers towards a much more nuanced approach. There is no simple way to answer it.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I remember from psychology classes at university, they talked about some responses built into babies. They are lessons inherited from the whispers of 10,000 years.

I was incorrect when I wrote "There's no one sentence synopsis. " - what I should have written was "there is no easy answer to where the balance lies, because the balance changes according to person and situation".

There is, in fact, a segment long just over 1 minute, which gives you a sense of what the whole discussion is about.

Play the video from this point - the end of the segment is at 7:26 min

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
He is a very interesting speaker on a very interesting topic. I found it alarming when he said my heart will stop beating though!