Myers-Briggs Type Indicator

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I took the Myers-Briggs test today, or rather one of the free spin offs available online. This is the second time I have taken the test, but the last time was over 5 years ago, I can't find my results and I have evolved since then anyway.

So, my results were: INTJ

Here are the specfiics: http://www.humanmetrics.com/personality/intj-type?EI=-53&SN=-62&TF=34&JP=25

Apparently, it means I am a "System Builder." Welcome to my forum! I built this system! What are the chances?

Famous people who are also INTJ are Arnold Schwarzenegger (brilliant!) and Hillary Clinton (I just want to cry!).

Edit: I think that the description for INTJ is a fair reflection of my personality. I've been pigeonholed!

http://www.humanmetrics.com/personality/intj

Last edited:

Bee

Founding Member
Oh, Jon. I'm laughing my head off here. Firstly, my perception of you is pretty much as described in your results. Secondly, I did the test again and I am INFJ.

The reason I am laughing is the following explanation of INFJ (if you can be bothered to read the large wall of text). I find it hard to disagree with - to the point where if I'd written something about myself, it would be this. However, I know I am reading it with several biases. But it is interesting as you and I have had many, many debates and you always come at it from a logical or technical perspective and I always come at it from a more emotive perspective. I've been lazily thinking that it's a difference between male and female perspective, but actually - what if we are simply arguing two sides of the same coin? How many times have I said to you that we are agreeing, but from different perspectives?

http://www.humanmetrics.com/personality/infj

Bee

Founding Member
I should also point out that we have discussed Myers-Briggs on another thread and I was sceptical of it because the indicators are not distinct enough, but... as a flavour of a person, then yes, I think it has some value - but it isn't the be all and end all psychometric testers have promised.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I think it would have benefited from having 3 points on the continuum, rather than 2. e.g. I am an introvert, but only just at 53%. Does this mean that I am on a E - I continuum at 3% past the halfway point? Or am I 53% to the right of the centre, or roughly 75% on a E to I continuum? I'm a little unsure how to interpret that.

But if someone is a tiny bit more introverted, then they would still be classed as I, while on another day, they may answer slightly differently and so flip to an E. So a middle score would be useful. But then you can't just say you are INTJ. You would have to say IENTJ, which even confuses me!

Bee

Founding Member
Think of each pairing as either end of a continuum. So, E is at one end, and I is at the other. So at 53% you are close to the middle, but your natural (or preferred) thinking style is introversion. Please also note this is not the same thing as being 'an introvert' as is stereotypically portrayed. Introverted thinking simply means you are likely to internalise a problem to seek the answer - ie you draw the inspiration or resolution from within, rather than an extroverted thinker, who is more likely to draw resolution from external sources such as people and the functioning environment. Solitude or calm environments are more likely to spark creative thought for you, whereas an extroverted thinker would get their creative juices flowing in a more chaotic or noisy environment - or one with mulitple stimuli occuring at the same time.

It also doesn't mean you can't flip thinking styles, just that your natural inclination would be to internalise whatever is taxing you.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
OK, I am also an INTJ. I 19%, N 6%, T 41%, J 22%

Given that I had a career as a Systems Administrator, Systems Analyst, and Systems Programmer, the #1 career choice indicated for INTJ types. computer programming and engineering, is no particular surprise.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting, since I was a programmer too. I did a sales job for 10 years but I never felt it played to my strengths.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Bee, based on the Doc's answers, I want to question your assertion that 53% means I am close to the middle, i.e. approximately halfway between E and I. For Doc, he was still an I on 19%. Yet I was an I on 53%. Based on your comment, wouldn't that mean that the Doc would be an E if 50% was the midway point between I and E?

Using a bit of Bayesian reasoning, that would mean I am approx. 75% on an E to I continuum, and not just off centre.

]Edit: It wouldn't surprise me if you were wrong because I found it ambiguous myself. Perhaps if I spent time reading more of the site it might clarify this point.]

Last edited:

Bee

Founding Member
Actually - I think you are right. I think the centre point is 0 and you can be 1-100% in either direction. That would make more sense. So you are 53% into Introversion.

As a test run, take the evaluation again and answer "undecided" for EVERYTHING. You should come out as 0% for each of the four categories if 0 is dead-center between the two extremes.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if you score undecided on a question, it cannot determine if you are an I or an E. It is a neutral answer. Therefore, when you aggregate a bunch of neutrals, how do you determine if they are an E or I? That is why I suggested the benefit of a midpoint pole, which says you are neither E or I but in the middle.

In the example you gave, they fudged the issue by giving you 1%, when it should be 0%. Therefore, the ESTJ indicator is invalid, because it could equally be INFP.