Managing Disorder in your Life

Uncle Gizmo

Founding Member
I just looked it up and found this video and wow is the concept valuable
I have just finished reading Dr Jordan B Peterson book the 12 rules for life. One of the rules is "Tidy your room!" As someone with an untidy room, and no intention of tidying it, I just dismiss this rule as like "mum says" and it had no further effect on me.

Then I happened upon this video:-

of Jordan B Peterson talking to Stephen Blackwood where he explains the reasoning behind the tidying of the room. It was a fantastic eyeopener!

I realised that it sort of was the same concept as the video I quoted from your post and thought it worth mentioning...

Extract:-
One of the things I talk about in 12 rules for life and in my lectures this has become meme strangely enough something that's why they distributed on the web partly because there's a comical element to it it's to clean up your room And everyone laughs about that everyone's mother has told them that a 1000 times

Jordan tries to explain why you have a bit of chaotic potential right in front of you is in some sense infinite in its potential and the domain in which you can manipulate that might be rather restricted because of the restrictions that are part and parcel of your existence but maybe you have your room and you might think, you might have contempt for that so it's a complete bloody catastrophe but you don't have to you can think, well I've got a little it isn't a room it's a place of potential and as soon as you know that it's not your room anymore it isn't a room the room that you see is your preconception of the space that you in inhabit what's there is a fragment of Infinity that's what's there. And what you see is the low resolution consequence of your assumption and lazy habit and blindness. That's your initial room and you think well no that's not the room. Part of what artist do for example, when Van Gogh paint a room and you look at it glowing, he's trying to show you what's beyond your perception of the room and I mean this technically like the way that your visual system is setup, is that whenever memory and presumption can, can replace direct perception IT WILL because it's simpler so you literally see what you expect to see and if what you see is dull and drab and boring and pointless and uninspiring then that you! It's not what's there and what the artist does when he or she re-represents that mundane reality is to remind you of what's behind it, the potential that’s there and so what I'm suggesting to people is that they take the potential that's right in front of them, and here's the rule, you're aiming up. There's something that you could change, that you would change, that might be a very small thing “could” well that's within the grasp of your power “would” is within the grasp of your will. To combine those two things might be a very small shift you might only be willing to make a very tiny step forward. It's like “fine” good enough! Make a tiny step forward and that makes you a slight bit stronger than you were before….

Uncle Gizmo

Founding Member
The other thing I would recommend, only because Dr Jordan B Peterson says it's good mind you. What I'm saying is I believe him, and I don't doubt his figures, but you really have to make up your own mind! Anyway if you see this video:- Intro to SelfAuthoring
at this time index:- t=133

A Video which you could interpret as Jordan B Peterson trying to sell his own products. However I don't see it like that! I have signed up for the future authoring program and it's nothing really, except a way of getting you to write down your thoughts. And I think that's it's power, and I think that's what Jordan Peterson and the other psychologists are trying to tell you. I wish I'd had something like that when I was younger, I just made my way randomly through life and I don't really like where I am now!

Anyway, I would investigate Jordan B Peterson authoring programs, I think they have some merit, his figures are impressive on the improvements particularly of young men's performance in university.

Uncle Gizmo

Founding Member
As you know I've been watching JDP videos extensively, and read his book, but it's took a long time for me to understand the guts, the essence of what he's saying. This guy Tim Lott sums it up very very well! But really, you've got to listen to Jordan, and possibly read his book, although I think he covers most of the book in his videos! Anyway what Jordan has discovered about his self, about his patients, about people, about the ancient stories like the Bible, is they all relate the idea that we need to suffer to have meaning! The idea from the Bible is the carrying of the cross. And we say having a cross to bear, but listen to this guy "Tim Lott" he just puts it right there, perfectly worded:-

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
the idea that we need to suffer to have meaning
This reminds me of the basic tenant of Buddhism: Life is suffering. [and it is a consequence of human existence.] They refer to it as Dukkha.

Uncle Gizmo

Founding Member
What I am finding so amazing is that for probably 2 years now, I've been following Eckhart Tolle. This similarities between what Tolle and Jordan explain are significant! Eckhart Tolle says that you should become aware of your surroundings. In other words don't separate meditation into something separate, bring it into your everyday routine as you do something let your mind be aware. Now Jordan says the same thing but slightly differently, he says we are "wilfully blind" which to me is the same as saying be more aware.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Uncle, I think the term they use is "Mindfulness." Lots of therapy is based around that nowadays.