Life Hacks

I was about to comment and mention Marie Kondo after seeing Jon's previous comment. Something slightly related I learned from a friend recently is that the best way to be organized is just to do something as soon as you've got to clean/fold it. So when I come home and I take off my outer shirt I try to fold it and put it in a drawer, same for jacket, pants, and backpack, put them all where they belong. Another suggestion he made was that I keep only one set of bowl, plate, spoon, fork, knife. As soon as I use it, I was it. If I have more than one I have the inclination to just leave one in the sink and never clean but with only one I have to clean immediately which is easier to clean than after a day or two.

My dad gave me a book about minimalism a few months ago but I've been avoiding paper books since I started using IR, should probably take a look at it soon. Nowadays, I try to avoid spending time at home because I can't get much done and if I were more minimalistic it would make life so much easier because I have too much clutter at home which isn't enjoyable to come back to. I'll be moving after around a month so I'll have to give it a try, I'll let you know the results if I succeed.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
There are some good YouTube videos on minimalism, to give you a taster. It is a philosophy more than anything.

Every item you have has an opportunity cost. It disturbs your peace when you see the clutter there, while the item itself often has little utility.

Bee

Founding Member
Another suggestion he made was that I keep only one set of bowl, plate, spoon, fork, knife. As soon as I use it, I was it. If I have more than one I have the inclination to just leave one in the sink and never clean but with only one I have to clean immediately which is easier to clean than after a day or two.
I have been saying this to a friend for some time. I keep 2 of everything, in case I need something when I am cooking, or a friend pops round. But the result is the same - it's easy to keep on top of washing up and never feels like a mammoth task.

Though it makes me a little sad that you are avoiding paper books :)

I have been saying this to a friend for some time. I keep 2 of everything, in case I need something when I am cooking, or a friend pops round. But the result is the same - it's easy to keep on top of washing up and never feels like a mammoth task.

Though it makes me a little sad that you are avoiding paper books :)
For Supermemo, if I use a paper book the workflow isn't that great, I have to take notes on the book while reading and then transfer them to Supermemo. I HATE taking notes because when I read I like to just read and not worry about doing other things that break flow. If I use online sources, it fits in much better with Supermemo.

If I'm reading for fun though I like paper books but since I live in Korea it's inconvenient to get them, so I read sometimes on my kindle though I try to avoid it now because I have trouble getting work done if I get sucked into a good book.

There are some good YouTube videos on minimalism, to give you a taster. It is a philosophy more than anything.

Every item you have has an opportunity cost. It disturbs your peace when you see the clutter there, while the item itself often has little utility.
Do you have any specific recommendations on videos? I think I need it now more than ever.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I HATE taking notes because when I read I like to just read and not worry about doing other things that break flow.
My workflow is to markup the book with a highlighter pen as I go. Then, at another time, I will transfer those highlights into Supermemo. This doesn't really break my flow since I am breaking it apart into two stages.

Regarding Minimalism recommendations, watch this to get started:

My workflow is to markup the book with a highlighter pen as I go. Then, at another time, I will transfer those highlights into Supermemo. This doesn't really break my flow since I am breaking it apart into two stages.

Regarding Minimalism recommendations, watch this to get started:

Really liked that video, woke up from a nightmare but that was a good way to relieve the stress from it.

For a paper book, how would you go through the entire book and copy the highlighted extracts to SM? Just by hand? It wouldn't be so bad to do that if you were to use a kindle as some people have been discussing in the discord.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
There has been a ton of discussion on the Discord channel about this type of thing. There are pros and cons to each method. If you are reading a book in pdf format, you can easily copy and paste a sentence into Supermemo. It saves having to type it out. Yet reading on a screen is a bit more tiring on your eyes. I read my pdf books on my iPad. I then highlight. Then, just like with the physical books, I periodically add the highlighted sentences to Supermo, using copy and paste, followed by doing extracts and/or cloze deletion.

The convenient aspect of using an iPad to read is that a) you can have many books on the device, making it highly portable compared to physical books, b) available on your other electronic devices, such as PC, if you store the books in the cloud, c) no highlighter pen required - just use Adobe Reader's built in functionality.

For me, the Kindle is great for reading stuff you are not marking up. But I really dislike the clumsy implementation of highlighting with your fingers. It is slow and awkward, IMHO. There are Kindle apps that collate the notes into an app, but then you lose the surrounding context.

So, I prefer: highlight in physical book or iPad > periodically add to Supermemo.

This thread about Life Hacks is great.

Here's one I adopted years ago to help with reminders: whenever I need to get something done I put an object related to what I have to do in a highly visible place, or I put something in an unusual place

A few examples
  • if I need to take something with me next time I go out, I will put it right in front of the main door. That way I can't miss it
  • when driving, if I put something in my car boot and need to take it home, I put a small plastic bag on the hand brake. When I get home pulling the hand brake with the plastic bag will remind me to open up the boot
  • another good generic reminder is wearing a bracelet on the opposite side that I usually wear it on (if I normally wear it on my left hand arm, I will move it to the right hand side)

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I adopt a similar method to you @fatmt. For example, if I am in my office and I really mustn't forget to take an object somewhere, I will put it on the floor by the door. That way I have to walk over it so I can't miss it.

I can't begin to tell you how many times my wife puts things on the mid-stair landing as a memory aid. I don't dare move them unless I understand the intended mnemonic topic. For instance, an empty plastic wrapper with a toilet paper product name means we have to go to the store room to get another pack for the downstairs bathroom. But some things she puts on the landing totally escape me so I just gingerly step around them.