Is IQ > EQ?

Insane_AI

Founding Member
I only read a little of it and so didn't get to hear the rant. What did you like about it? Was it something you empathised with?
I not only empathize with a lot of the frustration being conveyed in the book but also identify with those frustrations. Chapter 5 maybe not so much. I agree the education systems is messed up but I wonder if the author is discounting a bit too much in his criticisms of teacher motivations. I agree with the sentiment of the rant but know a few instructors that do not fit the mold he us employing.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't reached that chapter yet so not sure what he is saying there. But the general observation that society is made up to cater for the centre of the bell curve struck a chord with me.

It is similar to being tall. I am 6'2" and so airline seats are too small, sinks too low, restaurant food portions more stingy as a ratio, and risk of bumping my head!

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
As a member of Mensa, I found to my surprise that people looked down on it with a certain vigor. Elitist, snobby implications perhaps, or a friend used to say, "You aced the Mencap test!", much to his amusement! (Mencap is an association for the learning disabled in the UK.)

To me, it is nothing more than a) finding out where I sit on the continuum of intelligence, b) a place where you can meet like-minded eggheads. I see this as no different to any group where people have a common interest. Perhaps it stems from a deep-rooted inferiority complex.

Anyone else here experienced reverse mental snobbery?

Bee

Founding Member
I generally don't tell people I made it into Mensa. It either looks like boasting, or it raises expectations - and I'd much rather retain the element of surprise.

Insane_AI

Founding Member
Anyone else here experienced reverse mental snobbery?

Yes, but it usually comes from the one who has no business touching that sword let alone waving it around.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I had an ex-girlfriend who said I used to come across as a bit simple until people got to know me. Perhaps that is why she is my ex!

Insane_AI

Founding Member
I finished "The Curse of the High IQ" three times today. I listened to the last chapter three times this morning because I kept getting interrupted.

I loved the book so much I bought two more from the author.
Worthless: The young persons indispensable guide to choosing the Right Major
Poor Richard's Retirement

Insane_AI

Founding Member
In response to why I like The Curse of the High IQ:
It revealed a few things.
1. I'm not alone.
2. I'm not crazy, the people around me simply don't operate on my level.
3. The rant was followed by suggestions for solutions / adaptations which helps relieve stress with both actions.
4. I can better appreciate the patience of those who are my mental superiors.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting. Yes, I suppose when you are an outlier there is always the thought of, "Is there anybody (else) out there?" No doubt you encounter many people talking utter bull, but just keep it to yourself as what is arguing the point with someone who is incapable of getting the point? It felt good saying that, even if it's a bit nasty!

Good to see there is a solution section too. Otherwise it is just a pointless diatribe.