Is IQ > EQ?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
When it comes to life, which would you prefer, a higher IQ or EQ? Intelligence Quotient verses Emotional Quotient?

Bee

Founding Member
Is EQ actually a thing? IQ has been researched in detail, where I think EQ is a relatively new concept - and possibly stemmed from that awful book, Men are from Mars... Isn't EQ simply empathy repackaged?

I'm not trying to be provocative with my questions by the way, I'm simply seeking to explore.

Insane_AI

Founding Member
With a high enough IQ, and possibly some psychopathy, you can navigate the lack of EQ by making calculated decisions about how you interact.

Why does EQ matter?

Sorry Bee, I am trying to be provocative but also trying to explore and learn. I find the motivation for one's answers to be just as intriguing as the answer itself, sometimes more. I also find that getting people to critically think is difficult so when I find a population of those who both can and do think, I try to engage.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
There was a book written about EQ. The idea pushed forward seemed to be that it doesn't matter if your IQ is not up there, because EQ is the important thing. However, there are some psychologists who argue that IQ is correlated with "success" while EQ is not.

Insane_AI

Founding Member
However, there are some psychologists who argue that IQ is correlated with "success" while EQ is not.
I would disagree with those psychologists based on my observations that complete idiots who know how keep people happy can be quite successful despite their intellectual deficiency. I like to think of myself as a bit of a Brainiac, I have the IQ to back it up at 152 (long time ago but I'm keeping it). I don't necessarily want another brain to lead the team I'm on, I need a politician to pet egos and run interference at the helm. I can do that when I want to or try really hard but blunt honesty is more my speed and that doesn't always work well. Thinking back to the argument thread from the other day, being right and winning the argument don't always mean the same thing.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Insane_AI, that is a huge IQ, whatever the scale used. Is that why you chose the name AI, because you are like a new type of supercomputer but in flesh form?

I started reading a book about life for people with outlier IQ's. It was stating that everything in the world is built for those around the centre of the bell curve, thus rendering most TV as a bit useless for the minority of eggheads out there. The book was a little bitter though. Lots of ranting and raving, but the subject matter interested me.

Last edited:

Insane_AI

Founding Member
Mea Culpa: I chose the name Insane_AI because I had seen elsewhere and liked it. I now get upset when I can't join a forum with the name even though I know it's not an original.

I was in able learners classes for the gifted until our instructor had a bad accident over winter break. After that I didn't really have a lead to follow so my mind did what it does and I got into a lot of trouble.
What books can you suggest on the subject of outlier IQ's.

I just looked up the IQ scale and it appears to have adjusted a bit. My score meant very gifted (above 140) but not quite full genius (160). It appears that 140 is the new genius level.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
The book I started reading was called, "Curse of the High IQ" - Aaron Clarey. You might find it interesting reading as an outlier yourself, nodding in agreement as he lays into all sorts of things. It can get quite dark!

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
You're welcome. The real risk is the opportunity cost of your time. Sometimes there is solace in the comforting words of your cohort.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
If you do decide to get it, I would love to hear your comments. Maybe you can relate to the material and get insights you have not yet considered.

As a kid I had an IQ test and they wanted me to skip straight to 3rd grade, bypassing 1st and 2nd. Mom balked and let me skip 1st. She said (and in retrospect I agree with her decision) that I would be unprepared socially for jumping into 3rd grade. I would have been bullied even more than I was for skipping 1st grade. Probably also explains why I was sexually repressed for a while. (Don't worry, outgrew that phase...).

Since then I have refused to take "official" IQ tests. Didn't care about MENSA. Didn't want to know. To me, having a high IQ was a curse because it inflated everyone's expectations of me. I was trying to develop into a normal person and everyone was telling me what I should be doing with my talents. I used my abilities to build a comfortable and relatively lucrative career leading to retirement. But for a long time, I was all IQ and no EQ.

FWIW: In the TV show Scorpion, which was about geniuses who had trouble relating to normal people, the EQ vs. IQ conflicts came up quite often. The strategy of using one's IQ to simulate EQ didn't work so well. But of course, that was a TV comedy-drama and they needed to introduce some light-hearted moments into something that was pseudo-scientific at best. It appealed to me because it reminded me of many moments in my childhood when I was clearly intellectually superior to the bully who was beating the snot out of me. I guess I connected to the protagonists through that memory, because otherwise it was a silly show.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
My understanding is that if someone is aged 10, an IQ of 130 would mean that kid had a mental age of 13. I am not quite sure how that scales with age, but that is at least some kind of benchmark.

Doc, did you feel you were "different" to others, perhaps not even knowing why? Or did you feel you were just like everybody else?

I certainly WAS different to others because I was a social outcast growing up in virtual isolation. Always the last person picked for a game during Phys-Ed class. Always shunned. Often bullied. I KNEW that I "saw" things faster than anyone else in class. I was the only person in my entire high school class (of 1965) to pass the National Merit Scholarship Semi-final (NMSQT) and Final tests. So I had the feedback to tell me I was different in some way. And because I was always younger than my class members, just a little bit emotionally behind.

Probably accounts for why I sometimes overcompensated by being a debate bully. But I have learned to temper that tendency and avoid any of the common debate fallacies that are cerebral forms of bullying: argumentum ad hominem, argumentum ad authoritatem as two of the worst variants of that. The more I got into the business world (and started getting promotions because I could do the jobs given me), the more my anger dissipated. I had the ultimate revenge: A good, high-paying career while the guys who bullied me bounced from one sales job to another. And I have a loving wife, three step-kids who accept me, and three grand-kids who are cool with me.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Once you have left school, you can escape the confines of the average, where the forces pull you back to the centre. Instead, you can rise through a meritocracy where you cash in on your intellect. And maybe your anger dissipates into pity for those who bullied you, as you see them struggle while you soar ahead.

I never tried to analyze it once I got into college because most of the bullies didn't go there. In college, I was old enough to fit in better. I guess I had matured a bit more. Though true mental maturity didn't come until my dad died and I had to take responsibility for my mom. When someone else's life depends on you, suddenly your perspectives change.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I understand the responsibility issue very well myself, now that my parents are old and need help.

Insane_AI

Founding Member
The book I started reading was called, "Curse of the High IQ" - Aaron Clarey. You might find it interesting reading as an outlier yourself, nodding in agreement as he lays into all sorts of things. It can get quite dark!
I've listened to the first five chapters this morning. The rant of this book has me hooked.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I only read a little of it and so didn't get to hear the rant. What did you like about it? Was it something you empathised with?