Is being controversial a 'thing'?

Uncle Gizmo

Founding Member
The issue for me is it's a Chrome laptop, this means the software is Google Chrome. I do not understand why it says it's no longer being updated. In it's like, if you logged in on your PC and chrome said sorry this version of Chrome does not work on your PC. Either I'm not understanding the message, which incidentally, talking here about it has made me realise I need to be specific about the message, and I will do that next time I look at the laptop! But really, I bought a Chrome laptop and I thought it would last for many years. Now I'm in the position like you say, I'm not sure if it's safe and if it might well be attacked.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
The Pixel is supposed to prioritise form over function. I was very tempted to get one too. My current phones screen is smashed to pieces. About 30 or so cracks in the screen. It is still usable but lacks a certain aesthetic!

I've been tempted with the Huawei phones, but their flagship model is a bit pricey.

Bee

Founding Member
I'm very impressed by Huawei at the moment. They have an app which is designed for Deaf children called StorySign. As the child reads a story on the phone, an avatar signs along. Deaf children don't use language in the way Hearing children do - and so it makes perfect sense that they struggle with reading and need extra help.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Huawei are a huge company that no one really heard much about until recently. They have overtaken Apple in Smartphones and are the second biggest supplier, behind Samsung. However, they grew about 40% in the last year in Smartphones, so the projections suggest they will become the biggest in about a year, possibly.

Bee

Founding Member
It's interesting - I think their products have been around us for a long time, but we haven't really noticed. For example, my tv box is made by them and I bought a mi-fi thing a few months back when I was having internet problems - also made by them.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Where is the evidence of Huawei colluding with the Chinese government? I haven't seen any, just speculation.

Where the Chinese are involved and hacking IS their goal, you won't find clear evidence. Just indicators.

My security clearance, though lapsed, includes a lifetime non-disclosure agreement on lots of subjects. All I can say that is directly relevant is that I have seen one or two documentaries approved for general dissemination (thus exempt from the NDA). They make it clear that the mainland Chinese government IS involved in active hacking for propaganda, network weaknesses, and tech theft. But as to this particular set of charges, (a) I have no specific knowledge of Huawei activities and (b) I wouldn't be surprised if they are more intimately involved with their government to do nefarious things.

Uncle Gizmo

Founding Member
My guess is Huawei have to do what their government tells them to do, and I assume the same for American companies like Apple, Google and more. If the government deems it necessary to gather data about potential threats from a foreign power(s) I'm sure the government has the ability to enforce that.

Apple and Google most definitely DO NOT do what the USA wants them to do with regard to back-door decryption availability. In the USA, the government can bring a legal action but the defendant CAN force it to court. Not to mention that using PGP with a 256-bit key or some of the newer commercially available methods involved block-chain ciphers based on 256-bit keys, the cost of decryption is incredibly high.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if perhaps the intelligence services have information not available to the public. Perhaps they have a mole in the company and they don't want to reveal that they definitely know something is going on. Or is it a way of keeping Apple strong? Huawei has overtaken Apple and by limiting its ability to compete in the US - under the guise of espionage - they can help ringfence Apples commercial stronghold.