Hillary the Time Traveller

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Hillary said she was named after Sir Edmund Hillary, a famous mountain climber back in the day. She didn't inherit his first name because we had genders back in those days.

The odd thing is, the climber only achieved fame 6 years after she was born. So, is she the first politician to have officially travelled backwards through time?

She also says she was under sniper fire during some visit to a country. Some doubt the veracity of this claim. Did she pull a Hillary?

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
No, she's just backwards as part of her nature.

As to the sniper, it is obvious that for HIS country we should have done some sniper training. Such abysmal performance! But then, it was possible I suppose that he knew more about her than met the eye at the time and perhaps thought he would be advancing his country's agenda by letting her live to take part in a divisive election.

Bee

Founding Member
Sir Edmund Hillary was climbing since 1939. Just because he is most famous for conquering Everest in 1953 doesn't mean he was unknown before that time.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
He was a relative unknown. Factor that in with Hillary being a compulsive liar and you have a very funny story!

Bee

Founding Member
Is it opinion or fact that he was a relative unknown? It's entirely possible that someone in Hillary's family was either involved with, or followed mountaineering.

Case in point, I am not a mountaineer, but in the past I've been interested - specifically in relation to Alison Hargreaves who was the first woman to climb Everest without oxygen or a support team (among other achievements). I thought she was inspirational. But she died in 1995 on the descent from K2. You probably haven't heard of her. Or - it's possible you heard of her recently as a result of her son's death (Tom Ballard) who died between Feb/March this year in the Himalayas. Or, it's possible you knew her personally. My point is you can't know what other people know.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, of course you are right Bee. It is entirely possible that Hillary's mother decided to name her daughter after an unknown mountain climber from New Zealand, in a time with no internet and poor information, who then by a miracle became a world famous "Sir!"

Bee

Founding Member
Alison Hargreaves died in 1995. Yet, I was aware of her achievements through little things like newspapers. Information exchange existed prior to the interwebz y'know.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Case in point. Alison Hargreaves became famous and therefore in the newspapers because her case was unique. Cause and effect. What you haven't made clear in your post is if you knew about her years before she became famous.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
From politico: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/07/hillary-clinton-emails-history-214095

I was on an airport tarmac with Clinton and Sir Edmund Hillary in Katmandu, Nepal, in 1995 when she explained that her mother had read about the famous mountaineer in an article, and named her in his honor. The story seemed a bit strange at the time, if only because Clinton was born in 1947 and Hillary didn’t climb Mount Everest until 1953. It wasn’t until Clinton’s 2006 Senate reelection campaign that her aides acknowledged that the naming tale was a bit of family fabulism, conjured up after the fact to inspire by Clinton’s mother to inspire her to achievement.
And for sniper fire...

In her 2008 presidential campaign, Clinton took to claiming that in 1996, when she was first lady, she and her entourage had landed in Bosnia “under sniper fire” and been forced to run for safety “with our heads down.” Subsequent inquiry disclosed that the airport was safe and that Clinton had bent down only to kiss a smiling 8-year-old Muslim girl who read a poem in her honor. Clinton later amended her account to say that she had vivid memories of an airborne security briefing warning about the threat of sniper fire.
I know nothing about the site politico. Perhaps others here are more up on that.

You only have to look at that second quote to realise she is a complete fantasist and cannot be trusted with anything. How could you possibly exaggerate like that unless you are a compulsive liar?

Bee

Founding Member
Re whether I knew about Alison Hargreaves years before she became famous - yes, I did. She became most famous for climbing Everest etc. but I knew of her achievements prior to that (which were largely unreported at the time because a) she was a woman and b) mountaineering is not general population big news).

As usual, you are picking over detail. Is it not possible that Hillary's mother knew about Edmund Hillary? Frankly, I couldn't care less about it. Or - as the Americans say (wrongly), I could care less.

Last edited:

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Details matter if you are in debate, in my humble opinion. Facts matter. As you can see from the quotes above, you cannot trust a word Hillary says.

Yes, anything is possible. But is it likely?

Actually, the Americanism "I could care less" is a shortened usage from "As if I could care less" - which makes more sense. Americans shorten everything verbally. Between heavy use of contractions and acronyms, we engage in verbal shorthand so much that it is no small wonder you folks don't always understand us. Hell, there are times on any given day when I don't understand us. But if you like acronyms, work for a government agency sometime.