Grammatical errors that drive you bonkers

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
For some odd reason, I keep typing "their" instead of "there" on this forum. Never done that before! But when I read back my posts, I am finding this mistake everywhere.

What common grammatical errors do you see others do that drive you nuts?

Bee

Founding Member
Inability to use a possessive comma correctly (though I did it myself on an earlier post).
Inability to use a vocative comma.
Inability to use an Oxford comma.

Bee

Founding Member
:oops::unsure::p

An Oxford, or serial, comma helps to clarify lists of things. Whether or not you use the Oxford comma is generally up to you. However, omitting it can sometimes cause some strange misunderstandings.

Example: I love my parents, Lady Gaga and Humpty Dumpty.

Without the Oxford comma, the sentence above could be interpreted as stating that you love your parents - and your parents are Lady Gaga and Humpty Dumpty. Here’s the same sentence with the Oxford comma:

I love my parents, Lady Gaga, and Humpty Dumpty.

The use of the Oxford comma makes it clear that you love your parents. And you love Lady Gaga. And you love Humpty Dumpty.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
What if you don't love any of them? :ROFLMAO:

Actually, I never perceived the interpretation in your first example. But now I see it, it upsets my sense of reality. I was happy living in ignorance and I am sure my English teacher used to say no comma on the list item just before "and".

Bee

Founding Member
Your English teacher and many others, mine included. It's not obligatory - but assists with clarity and comprehension. And I bet your English teacher said never to start a sentence with 'And' either...

Bee

Founding Member
I would never pick anyone up on their grammar, or spelling, unless I am invited to. It's rude. And I'm no expert! Besides, America and the UK are two nations divided by a common language ;)

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
The language is no as common as you think. I remember years ago commenting on something to an American friend I had. I said, "I was taking a shortcut home and came across a pigeon pecking at a fag butt." She replied, "You mean it was pecking at a homosexuals ass?" For those who don't know, fag in the UK generally refers to cigarette.

Bee

Founding Member
That's exactly what I meant by 'divided by a common language'. Both nations speak English - but the use is varied and different!

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I missed the divided. And then didn't understand anyway. Was my "And" OK this time? Is it capital OK or Ok or is ok ok?

Bee

Founding Member
Your And was fine. And it's either OK, or okay. Never OKay. Unless you are Irish, but then you'd need an apostrophe - and don't get me started on those.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I hope that wasn't a racist slur.

Yes, the dreaded apostrophe. I used to get sleepy in English after lunch as a kid. The teachers droning voice sent me in a slumber so I think I missed all of grammer and especially the apostrophe section!

Bee

Founding Member
I'm Irish. It's fine.

However, should you feel the need to be schooled on the correct use apostrophies, then there is a place ready and waiting for you in Aunty Bee's Attitude Readjustment Clinic.