Dry Spell

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Jon, I've been checking but there aren't any new posts and at the moment I don't have any ideas for new threads. We're going through "an issue" at home as my mother-in-law's illness progresses so we are focusing on other stuff right now.

According to the dates on posts, the "techie" side of this site has gone idle as well. Your thoughts?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Doc, yes I understand the issue. I too have been caught up with stuff lately and Bee is absent because she is has moved this week, so won't have internet connection until I the 21st. It is probably just the time of year.

I am sorry to hear about your mother-in-law's illness progression. I have a similar issue this end. Some things take priority over others.

I still check in here multiple times per day, but have had my focus diluted. I will think up some new zany posts to answer! o_O

Bee

Founding Member
Hi there - sorry to hear that your mother-in-law isn't doing so well.

I'm checking in, but not contributing much - sorry. As Jon says, I'm moving house on Thursday and after that I'll have no internet connection until 21st December. However, I'll be back and on form by then, so beware!

Jon - I'm sorry we rely on you so much to start us off with topics. I know you have a lot going on too. I will do better when I'm back!!

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Thanks, Bee. Delta (my mother-in-law) is 92 and has inoperable metastisized cancer, so to be honest, we've been anticipating the decline for some time now. In fact, we are surprised she lasted this long. We've got family members taking turns sitting with her in the hospital because everyone understands where this is going. No surprises here - other than just how tough she really is.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
I will limit my posting online for a little while, a catch-as-catch-can situation. I will be occupied on and off for a few days.

After 92+ years, my mother-in-law peacefully passed away this morning just about 9 AM New Orleans time. Her kids and grandkids that COULD make it DID visit with her in the days before she passed. After a sudden rapid decline, she is no longer with us. I am fine and I think my dear wife will be OK once the arrangements have been made. However, I will probably be busy for a couple of days helping my sweetie with this one last duty for her mom. Services will be out in bayou country where "Mom" grew up. Lots of folks to call, a few belongings to manage, a few tears to shed. But it was expected. The loss isn't any less because it was expected, but there is the issue that we have a sense of relief that she is no longer suffering. And there is no shock value precisely because we knew it was coming soon and had already started preparations.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
My condolences, Doc. Sorry to hear about your loss. Take your time. You are always welcome here. 92+ years is an exception length of time to be alive. I only hope I make it that far.

For myself, I have gone down with a bug. It is that time of year. I feel grotty, pumped full of paracetamol and generally feeling rubbish.

Bee

Founding Member
Sorry for your loss, Doc. In my experience, even when you know such an event is coming, it still has the capacity to blindside you at a later time. Take care of yourself and your loved ones.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Just popped in for a quick look before hitting the sack. Wife and I spent the day in bayou country at the church and funeral home to make the needed arrangements. We have a few days before going back for the actual services. Being intentionally vague here for security reasons 'cause crooks like to visit homes of bereaved family members if they know what day they will be away and this site IS public, after all.

Wife and I are holding on to each other. We will manage because making the arrangements was one big hump and the services will be the other. And the arrangements are done. So we only have the one tough day remaining. We have to delay an unspecified amount because we have people coming from out of state.

Mother-in-law ("Momma D") is now buried. There were a few touchy moments, but Linda's rough spot was last Thursday when she had to sign the agreement for Momma D to get hospice care. That's sort of the point at which you have to admit there is nothing else to do and that death is nigh. When she came from the nursing home with that contract in hand, she was inconsolable for about 20-30 minutes because, I guess, the reality set in at that moment. From Thursday evening until Sunday morning, Momma D existed but was unresponsive 99.9% of the time. Monday had a few rough spots while arranging details with the funeral home, church, and florist, but the cousins who still lived nearby pitched in and took care of the food for the family gathering after the service.

It was a rainy morning in Chackbay, Louisiana, and rain fell on the actual interment procession. However, once we finished our little gathering in the fellowship hall across from the church, the rain had stopped and the drive home was uneventful.

To all who offered good wishes, I offer my thanks and the thanks of my dear wife.

Last edited:

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I know from past experience, getting the funeral over is a big milestone. The run up to it filled me with dread. Hopefully you have some closer now and life can slowly get back to normal.

I'm still getting over my own bug. It has whacked me for six. Heavy cold and now sinusitis. At least I think it will be gone by Christmas.