Cognitive based therapy - lets talk!

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I have a daily routine where I do 10 minutes per day (weekdays to be clear) of CBT. To me, it is like housekeeping the cobwebs in my mind. The rewiring of my randomly created neural pathways into something more positive and orderly can only be a good thing in my view.

So for others who practice this mental health routine, let me know how you have got on with it.

Insane_AI

Founding Member
Thank you Jon for posting this. I'm going to come back later when I have the book provided by my therapist friend as a reference. There are about two or three pages worth reading in it (according to my friend) and the rest is fluff surrounding those things. They are basic mental fallacies that manifest in many different ways but once you learn to recognize them, you can use the knowledge to take corrective action.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Having twice gone through a cognitive therapy series, I can say that it helped me to understand a lot about myself. The more important thing that it did for me, and I cannot claim it works the same for everyone else, is that it allowed me to understand enough things from my past to be able to forgive my father and myself. Mostly, forgive his and my human foibles. Once you understand the WHY of something, that forgiveness comes easier.

I learned that my father didn't know how to be a dad because he never knew his own father. That's a longer story than I care to start at the moment, but most of my conflicts from my father came as baggage from his mother, my paternal grandmother, who was borderline coo-coo. And not in a good way. In modern USA, she would have failed the safety checks performed by Child Protective Services. Let's leave it there.

One of my uncles told me the truth about what happened during their childhood after granddad had to leave New Orleans to find work and send back money to help care for grandma and the three kids. Once I learned the truth, my therapist and I were able to bring about a change in understanding, and with understanding comes a type of closure. So cognitive therapy let me find the square holes for those proverbial square pegs that never quite fit.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Insane_AI, the mental fallacies are most likely what they refer to as Cognitive Distortions.

Top 10 most common Cognitive Distortions

1. Mental Filter
2. Disqualifying the Positive
3. 'All or Nothing' Thinking
4. Overgeneralization
5. Jumping to Conclusions
6. Magnifying or Minimising (also referred to as “Catastrophisation”)
7. Personalisation
8. Shoulds and Oughts
9. Emotional Reasoning
10. Labelling

There is a 3 column technique used to drill a new way of thinking, helping you rid yourself of these mental filters that warp your view of reality.

The columns are: Automatic Thought; Cognitive Distortion; Rational Response.

Here is an example from one of my daily "sessions"!

CBT example v1.png

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
The_Doc_man, it reminds me of the blame game. Do you blame the parents? Or do you blame their parents for bringing up their children in a way that perhaps led to the unwanted behaviour. You have to walk 1,000 miles in another's moccasins to truly understand why people behave the way they do.

Let's take the messages in this forum. People coming at the same topics from different angles, bringing their life experience to bear. In essence, our own mental model of the world is just a map, and all maps are a reduction of reality.

Insane_AI

Founding Member
Jon,

You're on point with your response. It was the Cognitive distortions list.

Here's how my first appointment went:
Me: Hi doc, you can't fix my past, you can't control my future and you can't fix me. Unless you're prepared to teach me new tools to help myself this will be our last appointment.
Doc: Read these pages and take notes when you recognize the pattern is taking place. Take notes and match up after the fact so you can identify the distortions. If you can't or won't do that, this will be our second to last appointment.

Next appointment:
I went through my list and we attacked the thought process and what to do about it:
1. Acknowledge the thought
2. Identify the distortion.
3. Self -soothe.....It's ok that I feel this way but
4. Take corrective action: What AM I going to do about it?

# 4 can include healthy responses and the decisions that I'm just going to be a less than nice human being.

This is the basic pattern of how I arrest the fight or flight response in my now peaceful environment. I acknowledge that I was angered by a situation then I step back and analyze it.
Am I in danger? (usually the answer is no)
Give the other person the benefit of the doubt until concrete evidence is provided to the contrary. People have bad days and I may just be the one who gets it this time.
How long will I allow myself to be upset over this. (Decide then stick to it; yes I will allot myself five minutes to walk the parking lot and just be angry. Then I spend another five minutes refocusing my mind on the next task or devising a positive resolution.

This is taking practice and a lot of conscious observation of myself. I asked my therapist about formally studying mindfulness this weekend and was promptly informed that I am already using it without realizing it. I was warned that some of the books can get too far out there and to be careful about the source I use. I just ordered The Great Courses: The Science of Mindfulness: A Research Based Path to Well-Being. Once I finish the Harry Dresden Short story compilation "Brief Cases" I will start this book and hopefully be able to report back on it.

I hope some of this is useful to someone else. I don't plan on bearing my soul here but if I can share tools that have helped me, I will so that others may have access to them.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Jon, I acknowledge the blame game is involved. I blame my paternal grandmother for the problems I had with my father. My two uncles on that side of the family (and one of my aunts) confirmed that granny was a total whack job.

My uncle E. made it clear that he blamed his father for the troubles that all three boys had. I had to ask him to explain. His answer was vital to my understanding - and forgiving - my father.

Their mother was one of those "pampered socialites" who know NOTHING about life. Granddad was an educated man with a degree in civil engineering. He found no work in New Orleans at the time but the San Francisco earthquake was a massive opportunity for someone with his skills. He moved to Los Angeles to be with his sister, whose husband had a construction company of the type to build office buildings and hotels. Uncle E. said he blamed granddad for letting granny get away with refusing to move away from her parents. He said that granddad should have come back to New Orleans, slapped the crap out of granny, and took the kids back to L.A. with him. There were horror stories all around, including child neglect and indifference to their difficulties. Times when my father would have had no supper or clean clothes were it not for the kindness of neighbors.

It is easy to use the blame game on granny because (a) she is now dead and buried and (b) I had reinforcement from three sources that she was, in fact, to blame for not learning how to take care of the kids. She had no trouble having three of them, but had a world of trouble caring for them. Or actually, no trouble caring for them at all - because she didn't bother. She almost wrecked dad's marriage but his brothers convinced him that his mom was mentally ill and not to be trusted.

The only good thing about granny is that when I write my stories and want to build up an image of something evil, I have a great source of anger and loathing to trigger the emotional response I need in the particular scene.