Apple or Android?

Bee

Founding Member
I think I just have an objection to the whole Apple corporation. Sure, the products are well-designed and intuitive, but I dislike the built-in obsolescence and spin-offs such as iTunes etc. The final, final straw for me was the version of the iPhone where you had to buy the headphones separately. Greedy, greedy Apple.

And, as a writer, I'm sick to death of wannabe writers taking up space in cafes with their 'look-at-me-I'm-being-creative' Macbooks.

Professional jealousy? Maybe. But my little HP laptop and desktop do me just fine - and there's enough money left over for treats too.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I am a PC man. I know that makes me sound boring! I did buy myself an iMac for £2,300 as I bought into the hype. It has ended up as a glorified YouTube player! Yes, it is fast (i7 and all that). But my neural pathways are too ingrained with the Windows way. And the obsolecence of a locked in device is not great. With my 15 year old PC (yes, really!), I could whip out the old hard drive, slap in an SSD drive and away you go!

One thing that I like on the iMac is the built in macro language, where you can automate tasks. You can get apps that do the same for Windows, like Automate, but they cost a ton of money.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Neither. I refuse to have a phone that might actually be smarter than me. I sure don't want one pretentious enough to claim to be smart.

I have an old flip phone (clam shell) that I use ONLY when on the road and ONLY for emergencies. Given that I am no longer on call 24x7 and that my wife and I don't travel much, all I need is the ability to call and say "Meet me at the Rouse's Supermarket at 7 PM" or "I've got a flat tire, I'll be 30 minutes later than planned." Stuff like that.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
These devices are rewiring our minds so we have the attention span of a gnat. I think it was the new Samsung phone (or maybe it was the newest version of Android OS) has a facility to turn things black and white, and reduce notifications. Something like that. The idea behind the black and white setting is that people are less inclined to keep looking at their phones if they look dull! I could have this completely wrong but I think I am in the ballpark.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
You change them often then! I have a OnePlus 3T, which I dropped and the front has about 20 cracks on it! :LOL::LOL:(n). I am due a new phone. What would you recommend? Pixel 3, Galaxy 9 or Note?

FiFi

Founding Member
Galaxy 9, but I am biased! I have the 7 and I love it so much. Is it possible to lo e an inanimate object? I think so. I love my car too.