Ancient Astronauts

I read a series of books a few years back, the first one being The Twelfth Planet (Zecharia Sitchin). Very intriguing but I thought his conclusions required huge leaps of faith and that is opinions were substituted for actual facts.

Here lately, I have noticed an increase in YouTube videos along this school of thought. Has anybody else looked down this rabbit-hole?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I find the topic interesting, although I haven't watched anything on this recently. I suppose much of it is down to your interpretation of the ancient pictures, and whether or not they represent aliens. I do believe there is a good chance that bacteria came from another planet via asteroids, and thus populated earth with life. But maybe life is everywhere anyway. Let's see if NASA finds life on Mars. I'm sure I read something recently about their attempts to find life form, unless its a new rover they are sending out there.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
A lot of the "ancient astronaut" shows on TV are laughable in the extreme speculative approach. Sometimes the rays emanating from a person's head represent their belief in divine inspiration, so those depictions are symbolic. It is logically legitimate to say "no, it represents something else" - but it would be nice to then offer proof rather than more pictures that don't add to your knowledge about WHY they were shown that way.

A lot of the speculation talks about the Egyptian "gods" with the heads of hawks, jackals, etc. The movie "StarGate" jumped in to call them ornate helmets, but an equally valid position is to merely note that various "animistic" religions revered animals as well. Therefore, ancient Egyptian religions might simply be a hold-over from a "spirit animal" religion that we would now associate as "shamanistic" in nature.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I think there is a correlation between documentaries, particularly those shown on YouTube, and fast moving, flashing animated images, with a deep voice talking about the destruction of the world etc. The more "out-there" the claims, the more hyped up the whole shebang.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
I'm with you on that one, brother. There is an old anecdote about how a veteran lawyer dropped his notes regarding a case. Someone else picked up those notes and found a place where the lawyer had written "Argument weak - yell like Hell."