Airbnb - anyone used one?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
This company seems to have exploded out of nowhere! Now, it seems everywhere!

Anyone here used it?

Bee

Founding Member
I know people who swear by it. I also know people who have had horrendous experiences. I would never use one.

Bee

Founding Member
WIth hotels, you know (mostly) what you are getting. Much more difficult with Airbnb to be sure of the quality etc.

And the horror stories I've heard include last minute cancellations (that's the most common) whereas I've never had a hotel cancel on me.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I think it would be good to know what the chances of a last minute cancellation is. It could be lower than the risk of dying driving to cast your vote in a general election. :LOL:

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
In New Orleans, there is a huge public debate about short-term rentals. At the moment there is a partial hiatus on allowing such rentals pending review of some new regulations. Our problem is absentee landlords who do the bare minimum required to bring something up to code and then because they don't live in the area, they don't care to whom they rent. The renters for New Orleans are often party animals who get loud and rowdy, which makes the rest of the neighborhood unpleasant for the "real" residents. It also becomes impossible to decide if someone is "out of place" in the neighborhood, and despite the "profiling" sound of that, it is still the only useful way to watch out for trouble.

The counter argument is that someone might have bought the property for the purpose of rental income because that is the only way they can get by these days. For people with low or fixed income, there is a question of depriving them of the rights to enjoy their property, on which they have paid the appropriate taxes.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
What is a typical rental price for one room in New Orleans? I know the cost for rental in the UK is high because of the ridiculous house prices.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Don't know, never tried. But depending on neighborhood there will be a WIDE variety. In the "back end" of the French Quarter (which is 10-12 blocks from Canal Street, the "main" street of downtown) the prices will be highest because that is closest to many of the most widely advertised historical features. I tried a quick search and found a lot of articles on the city's ordinances but no dollar figures on rental rates.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I was told you can actually buy a house in the US for $30K, if you go to a town with no jobs! I was amazed! It would be fine for an internet worker!

Bee

Founding Member
Yes, but think about the neighbourhood and the likelihood of crime. Would it be worth trading off the cheap house price if you were terrified to leave the house?