Your job is...

Bee

Founding Member
You've been given one job: to make the world less painful to live in.

Which 3 things do you tackle first and why?

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Improve the education of all persons in all countries in a way to expose them to a secular education. Then let the religious extremists learn to live with people who can out-think them. Why?

1. Because religion and religious discord have made the world incredibly painful for many people.

2. Because education provides opportunities for people to support themselves better.

3. Because people working towards self-improvement tend to have better attitudes in life.

That wasn't three actions, Bee, but three reasons why education is so important as the first step. So consider my answer to be analogous to that old realtor phrase: Location, location, location. In my case, it would be Education, Education, Education

Uncle Gizmo

Founding Member
I am coming to the realisation that most people's pain, is actually caused by themselves. I'm not talking about physical pain, I'm talking about worry, anguish, hate, jealousy... I'm sure the list is never-ending. Eckhart Tolle has made me see that in myself, and I think that's an important thing for Society to develop. The same as education, in other words add this aspect to education get people to see young enough how their minds distort them. Tolle has written a book on this:-

Milton's Secret

It's specifically for children.

But! The proverbial big but! Following Eckhart Tolle I could indeed make myself very relaxed. However I didn't attend to my duties, and that's what I found from Dr Jordan B Peterson, a different angle, and strangely they Tolle & Peterson, both trawl through the historical records of society, the religions, the stories & myths... Using man's past experience to study and enhance the people of today. It's like they have both spotted an evolutionary trend, they have both seen the evolutionary nature of history, the story of humanity. I would love to see them get together and bring the complementary aspects of their studies to bear on the nature of humans!

Last edited:

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Uncle, history repeats itself. So learning from history is a good strategy, IMHO. I like some of the old philosophers, like Plato, Socrates and Aristotle. To think that they had such profound insights all those years ago, without popping on the interest once!

To answer Bee's question:

1. Provide gene therapy to increase the intelligence of those less gifted.

2. Use AI and robots to do the more menial work.

3. Solve all medical problems, leading to immortality.

All of the above are already being worked upon. One concern is that if you do #1, this could upset the ecosystem somewhat. There is an equilibrium brought about by nature, evolved over millions of years. The disruptive effect of such a change could lead to unforeseen circumstances. For example, those who were doing menial work before may be less satisfied once their brains have been boosted to Einstein-level genius. Hence the need for #2.

Regarding #3, while many do not talk about the quest for immortality, is not medicine that implicit search? Is Cancer Research UK not trying to cure cancer? Is the Mayo Clinic not at the forefront of research to reduce the impact of disease? Hospitals try to extend life, by treatment, prevention, diagnosis and advice. The only problem is they are not doing a very good job of it, relatively speaking. If they do a 100% effective job, we are immortal.

The only thing that is hard to stop (so far) is an unexpected incoming asteroid.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
But if you do #2, why bother with #1, Jon? And perhaps #1 is also contrary with #3 since intelligent people with nothing to do for eternity would quickly go insane, I think. Sort of why I'm an atheist. Who WANTS to be immortal and sit before the throne of God for all of eternity? I mean, come ON - definitely yawn city, don't you think?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Bother with #1 to reduce the inequality and improve life choices. Those with lower IQ's are more prone to violence and poverty. It would make the world a safer place for everybody. We might all have our own AI security guards by then, and one might go rogue!

Regarding #1 <> #3, having the choice is better than not having it, IMHO. Once you have had enough, you can stop taking your meds. But let nature take your life when you are enjoying your life? Not so good!

We will become our own Gods, with unimaginable super-intelligence. Once we merge with technology with a brain-silicon interface, we can dispense with frantic typing on our phones. Fat fingers are no longer an obstacle. Instead, we will have the unemployed spouting Shakespeare verbatim with zero practice. Welcome to the new frontier!

Writers will use AI bots to create their works of art. You don't have to lift a finger. It takes your entire life history and splurges out a chaos of words that fry your brain, since it is specifically tailored to your precise needs.

Wherefore art thou dystopian future? (I've been chipped.)