What was your last dream?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I had a weird one this morning. There were two women at the top of this stair climber gym machine looking down on me, as I toiled away one step at a time. One of them I fancied and she kinda liked me but wasn't sure. They kept chatting and I kept walking. At the end, I found I did 42 minutes of stair climbing. Impressive! However, earlier in the day (in reality), I went to the gym and tried the stair climber there for the first time. I was knackered after 10 minutes!

What could this dream mean and what was your most recent vivid dream?

Bee

Founding Member
On a very basic level, your mind is putting into order the experience you had on the stair climber - and equating it with a hard to obtain goal.

Bee

Founding Member
I had an unsettling dream last night. I was lost although I knew where I was - everything was familiar, but when I looked closer, I didn't recognise anything. Every time I had a decision to make about which direction to take, a close friend kind of materialised, talked to me and then gently guided me towards what appeared to be the right direction. There were also cats. Lots of cats.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I know where that dream came from. Yesterday, you posted in the "Crowdsourced Decision Making" forum seeking input from others. So, in your dream, these close friends materialised to assist you in which direction to take. Simple!

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
My last dream was about my wife and I getting lost in a strange city. We both like to travel and I have been known to occasionally miss a turn here and there when we play "tourist" so it might just be an expression of a desire for more travel. I know wifey and I are overdue for a vacation but we are pinned down by circumstances right now. Her mother is dying slowly of stage IV metastatic cancer all over her abdomen and we have to be home to pick up our youngest grandson after school because he is still just a little bit young to be a latchkey kid. Not to mention that wifey is still recovering from foot surgery so we will not be able to tromp around anywhere very much yet.

Bee

Founding Member
This is from the BBC website and I thought it was interesting:

Why Do I Dream?

The purpose of dreaming is still a scientific mystery. Some psychologists think you deal with threats and practise survival techniques inside your dreams, like running away from dangerous situations or people. Others believe that dreams help you form memories, or process emotions.

However, another school of thought claims that these nightly stories are just a by-product of your active, sleepy brain. If this is true, your dreams are simply a reflection of what’s going on in your mind and don’t have a specific purpose.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
To my mind, I think it is a way to meld what you experienced and learnt during the day, with what you already know. By suspending the critic in your mind, you can more easily create a story to merge your experiences, since it doesn't matter if the story is nuts! Imagine how hard it would be to create a perfect story everytime that was rational. Too glucose costly.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I had the weirdest dream last night. I had eight geese around me all biting at my head. The experience felt very strange! I'm sure a psychologist would have a field day with that one.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Hmmm... In the southern part of the USA we have a phrase "Like being nibbled to death by a Muscovy duck."

Were I to hang out my "dream whisperer" shingle, I would say that you feel surrounded by a bunch of small things that individually are annoying but taken together are more serious. Perhaps similar to the USA phrase "being nickeled and dimed to death" - not losing the big game but losing the small battles in greater numbers than would be comfortable for you.

Are you in a situation where you have lots of little frustrations that are beginning to weigh on you?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like death by a thousand papercuts. Or some form of water torture. The sensations of having my head bitten by eight geese simultaneously was really quite strange!

Uncle Gizmo

Founding Member
I had a dream!
Note:- A dream, not a nightmare, well I'm not sure, let Me Explain.

I don't remember the before, the after was, I woke up and that was the bit that is the nearest to a nightmare, but I'll get to that later.

There was a door but not a door, a curtain but not a curtain, a sheet of light but not so. But this is weird, I want to say “an envelope” you know an old-fashioned brown envelope like a bill comes in.

There was a strong light on the other side. It was as if I were holding an envelope up to the light to see what's inside. The structure of the paper, it's fibrous construction broke up the plain colour. It was just like looking through an envelope.

I knew where I was, I was dying and this was the portal of death. I was thinking “This Is It”. I wasn't frightened, no fear, at the most of vague uncertainty. Without thinking about it, I knew what to do. I reached out to tear through the veil and then I woke up.

Now the nightmarish part!
I lay still in bed with my eyes closed. At first I thought I had just had a dream, but then I thought what if it wasn't a dream? What if I had gone through the portal? What if the portal was hell, and now I was in hell, and the devil was playing a trick on me, letting me think I was safe in my bed.

I could sense a presence there in the room with me, I imagined a devilish, dinosaurish looking creature with green scales, the Devil stood by my bed. I reasoned, what better Hell than to awake thinking you are in your own bed but to discover you were actually in Hell, a hell designed to look like, to seem like your own world, then to discover the devil standing there the devil reaching out to draw the duvet back, to let you see, let you experience the horror of discovering you are in hell!

I lay there my initial fear subsided. I thought don't be silly and threw the duvet aside and…………….

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
As I was reading that, I was thinking to myself, "Perhaps our reality is hell." After all, look at all the nasty things that happen in this world. It certainly isn't heaven, by any stretch.