The art of negotiation

Bee

Founding Member
It struck me today that perhaps the reason the EU won't negotiate further on a withdrawal deal is that our PM has no clue how to negotiate. Let's take her recent declaration:

"Back my deal and I will quit." (I'm paraphrasing).

So, applying logic, she will quit once her deal gets through Parliament. However, if her deal doesn't get through, her position will be untenable... so she'll have to quit. Hmm. She will be the only PM to fall on her sword, and miss. Quite, quite spectacular.

As negotiation tactics go, it's an interesting one. And by interesting, I mean insane. She should take up poker.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
A good point, Bee. I'm not as close to your Brexit woes so don't see nuances like that.

Your comments about falling on your sword and missing remind me of Douglas Adams and the "Hitchhikers" series. In the second volume, he explains how to fly. You throw yourself at the ground - and miss.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Theresa May is one of my least favourite Prime Ministers ever! While I am a Conservative, I am not a Theresa Mayer! She has the most cold, unfriendly and repugnant personality of nearly anyone I know in politics. No idea quite how she got to where she is!

Her handbag is her negotiating weapon. She is definitely not a wordsmith, like Cameron was.

It struck me today that perhaps the reason the EU won't negotiate further on a withdrawal deal is that our PM has no clue how to negotiate.
Now, come on Bee. When she was in power she did say "No deal with the EU is still better than a bad deal". Now, how can you say she can't negotiate when she clearly must have read Negotiating for Dummies?