Stand up desks

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I got myself a contraption today, which is actually quite nifty, on first use. It is essentially a perch for my laptop. I am sitting on my sofa typing this, using it as a supported tray with legs. Then on my desk, I can use it as a raised platform for a stand up desk. They are all the rage you know!

Check it out here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lavolta-Er...=1539693147&sr=8-6&keywords=laptop+desk+stand

1539693244319.png

I haven't used it for long, say 10 minutes, but already I am finding it very good.

Bee

Founding Member
Yes - lots. And I've also bought some desks which can be raised/lowered. So, even for our tallest people, a combination of an adjustable desk plus a varidesk means that they can work at the right height whether they are sitting or standing.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Don't know about "stand-up" desks but I have seen some set-ups where you don't sit OR stand - but rather you kneel. Supposedly good for certain back ailments that are triggered by being a desk jockey like I was. But since I made it a point to take my daily walks whenever possible, my back stayed stronger than for some folks. One of my best friends from college (and a former bridge partner) said he used one of the alternative posture set-ups and liked it. But they didn't make it to the U.S. Navy office where I worked. Or at least, not before I retired.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I know the ones you are talking about Doc. Was very tempted to get one a while ago. There are also treadmill desks, where you walk at like 1.5mph while working. I wanted one but I don't have the space.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
They say it is quite doable at 1.5mph. But if you start doing like 3mph it plummets. There is a slight tradeoff in concentration I believe as you are multitasking. Maybe it is better for women. :giggle:

They say it is quite doable at 1.5mph. But if you start doing like 3mph it plummets.
Didn't catch this at first, but 3 mph is fractionally faster than I can walk. That counts as a "brisk walk" according to my primary care physician. Every day I walk a measured course of 3.05 miles and with my wonky knees, foot issues, and a typical New Orleans summer, there are days I can't make it in less than 75 minutes (2.44 mph). A good day 70 minutes (2.6 mph). On my best days before my liver issues (when I was still in my early 60s), I might sometimes make it in 57 minutes, but those days are long gone. Since the surgery on my right knee, I am reluctant to push by actually jogging. High impact stuff would mess my meniscus and I'm not willing to risk that.

In case you were wondering, "measured course" is a set of local streets that count as a large, multi-block trapezoid. But I found a local web site called "MapMyWalk" that you got a map and could measure segment distances point-to-point. Came out to 3.05 miles total among all segments.