Sexist hypocrisy by the UK Prime Minister?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I just read this headline: "PM calls social media trolls who abuse female MPs as the modern equivalent of the sad man sitting at the 'end of the bar muttering into his beer'". It is slightly misleading. Her actual quote was: "It’s the chap who used to sit on the corner end of the bar every night muttering into his beer, who can now mutter on social media. People pick it up and believe it and send it round."

She is referring to sexism within politics. Here is the article: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...emale-MPs-modern-equivalent-sad-men-bars.html

I have a question: Is her quote a case oft stereotyping and disparaging men? Does it fall under sexism or something else? I am unclear. There seems to be something wrong with her comments, but I can't quite put my finger on it, unless I am mistaken.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
There is no doubt that various social media have provided gathering places for the disaffected. While it prima facie appears to be sexist, I think it is more of a societal haves-and-have-nots sort of thing. Not a gender struggle but a social (or perhaps class) struggle. But then again, I'm not from your side of the pond so count that as a distant take on the situation. But to be honest, we have our share of guys who sit at the end of the bar on Friday night, disaffected and not getting anyone to even listen other than the rest of the "disaffected losers" gang.