Sceptiko

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Exceptional claims require exceptional proof. Actually, I don't agree with that cliche, as anything just requires proof. Exceptional is just subjective. I'm with you on this one Uncle, even without looking into it. My Bayesian filter tips the balance towards lying for profit!

Uncle Gizmo

Founding Member
I'm with you on this one Uncle, even without looking into it.
Exactly! I haven't wasted any time on it either!

My son asked me the other day if the moon landing actually happened, he's being drawn into various conspiracy theories. That's what has raised (again) my interest in this sort of thing. Mind you I do recall being drawn into conspiracy theories when I was young and silly as well!

Last edited:

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I think there is a natural lure towards things that are novel and different. They draw you in, until you realise its bunkum.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
I remember Erich von Daniken, author of Chariots of the Gods?, and his claims regarding Earth having been visited by aliens. We have a TV series that I never watch so can't tell you much about it. It is called Ancient Aliens. So much speculation, so little substance.

I also remember that some eminently forgettable jerk-wad (whose name I have forgotten) wrote a book about how dinosaurs were killed off, and it wasn't about meteors. He claimed the earth was bigger 63 million years ago and for some catastrophic reason, shrank in size to half the original radius. I was trying to phone in to the radio talk show where he was pushing his book to destroy the guy's argument but I never got in. I would have been able to literally kill his whole argument based on the implications of such a shrinkage based on density.