Peterson vs Tolle

Uncle Gizmo

Founding Member
I so nearly posted a major blog here yesterday, "a wall of text" as I understand some people call them! Why? Well, I had just had an hour long chat with my brother, and he mentioned he had recently read "The Shortest History of Germany" - and of course Auschwitz came up in the conversation. I mentioned I'd been reading the Gulag Archipelago and this got us on to the subject of Dr Jordan B Peterson and him stating that we are all, as individuals just a stone's throw away from becoming like the people that ran these death camps!

I started explaining to my brother about Jordan B Peterson's ideas and observations and I wanted to bring it here for critique. Then I realised I've just got ideas, I haven't delved into anything deeply, I've just got a very rough overview of Jordan's thinking. What I need to do is ask myself loads of questions and also answer those questions, then bring it here in a much better condition!

So why am I posting now?

I wondered if anyone could help me pose those questions?

What questions should I ask myself?
What interests you about Jordan B Peterson views?
What do you disagree with?
Are there any other sources I should investigate?

Just to whet your appetite, Peterson is convinced that our emotions are biological, our Society structures reflect this underlying biology. He mentioned this guy:-

Jaak Panksepp - Rats Fair Play

Rats Play Fair Jordan Peterson

Primary Emotions
Anger, Fear - 1st

Why do rats laugh? Interview with Jaak Panksepp - präsentiert von Braincast
Extract:-
The mind is what the internal experiences are. And the emotions are a very important parts of a mind. I would even argue that maybe our mind is build upon emotions and the reason I say that is that if we harm the emotional systems dramatically, consciousness itself begins to disappear! And that’s a very dramatic demonstration. If you damaged those deep medial parts of the brain consciousness disappears. Everyone agrees about that. One possible conclusion is that the mind itself is fundamentally feeling and effective, and emotional a value of feelings like, pleasant/unpleasant taste good emotions like play and desire and maternal love are the things that the rest is built because they are biological values.

As always, your comment, criticism and observations will be received with gratitude.

PS:-
Note, I've titled it Peterson vs Tolle - Because title has arisen after the text! I'm thinking of developing a discussion like this because Tolle & Peterson explore different parts of the mind, but funnily enough their fundamental knowledge appears to come from the same place. I thought it would be an interesting to ferret out!

Last edited: