Our own worst enemies?

Bee

Founding Member
Why do we resist doing things that we know are good for our well-being while craving things that are detrimental to our well-being?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
That is an easy one. We have two minds: the primitive reptilian brain (fight and flight + pleasure seeker) vs the prefrontal cortex. The reptilian brain was part of the universal brain formed 300 million years ago, which is shared amongst mammals and birds. It is instinctive in nature. The cortex grew later, which controls executive function, something we are using on The Mind Tavern! So typically, the reptilian brain deals with short term while the cortex is long term. They are in conflict, much of the time.

The book Thinking Fast & Slow talks about deliberative (slow) thinking and instinctive (fast) thinking. The fast thinking is much more energy efficient than deliberative thinking, and so we tend to rely on it when we can, to conserve glucose and therefore increase survival prospects.

Bee

Founding Member
So, I know I need to go to the gym. It will improve my physical well-being, improve my mental state, and help me sleep - not to mention help with my weight-loss goal and improve my diabetes management. Instead, I sat here, responding to posts and have now missed the gym.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Conserving energy by not going to the gym (short-term thinking), and getting addicted to the pleasure of the new crack house, The Mind Tavern. :D

The great brain battles are constant and ongoing.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I have an idea for you Bee, that may help. Use Choice Architecture. I have been meaning to do a post on this - will get to it sometime. Place your gym kit already laid out before you go to work. Then, when you get back from work, just say to yourself...

1. All I need to do is put the gym kit on. Don't think anymore. (choice architecture - engineer the environment to make the desired behaviour easier).

2. Once you have changed, get your keys, go to the car, turn the engine on. That is all you need to do.

#2 is from a mini-habits course I went through. The idea is you don't actually commit to doing anything. Just doing those behaviours. If you don't want to then go to the gym, you are perfectly fine coming back inside. But in most cases, this is enough to just get the ball rolling.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Just came across a good term today: "Minimum viable action." When feeling resistance to doing something, just take the minimum viable action. Helps you get going.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I just got another habit distinction today. If you have trouble going to the gym, just show up and limit your workout to 5 minutes. This helps you overcome resistance to thinking it will be a huge chore. Just showing up is the most crucial step.

For me it is the daily 3-mile walk that took a while to form the habit. When I come in after the walk, particularly on hot days, I am drenched with sweat at a level to include dried salt stains and I have the feeling of being physically drained. My next action is to sit down in my non-absorbing chair and drink at least one bottle of water. Then I take a bath. After a while I feel better, but I had to build up my habit both for getting out and doing it (at all) and then build up the habit to longer distances. I do 3.05 miles normally, but with an improvement in the weather, I have one more increment that I add during fall and winter that makes it about a 3.9 mile walk. In the summer, that takes too much out of me but in cool weather I can handle the longer walk. As soon as my ankle heals, I'll get back to the 3-mile route.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
It is hard work when it is hot, and I imagine it is frequently hot in New Orleans, it being down south and all. But 3 miles per day is good going. More than most do at a much younger age.