Mental processing speed...by age!

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I played in a chess tournament this weekend. My first game was against a 10 year old girl who looked like she was from Indian decent. I had to look up the spelling of her name. Due to cultural and religious differences, I was not sure if a) I was allowed to shake her hand before the game starts, as is customary, and b) if I am allowed to shake the hand of a child without being accused of being the local pervert. In anycase, I did and probably broke a million rules.

It was a close game and she played very well. It came to the endgame and I had a won position. But one thing became apparent. During the scramble to get the moves done when short of time, her mind was working at hyperspeed while mine was like the slowest kid in the class, wading through a vat of treacle. I was aware of this as she banged out the moves, whilst probably enjoying the fact that I was the snail in the race. I lost. Took the pawn on the left (wrong choice), while taking the pawn on the right (right choice) would have easily won me the game.

Lesson learnt. I hate playing juniors!

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
I have always thought that mental processing speed is more about fatigue than age. But that's just my opinion. I think we are born with an innate "natural speed" of cogitation, and that very little can ever accelerate it - but MANY things can decelerate it to an absolute crawl.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
In chess, it is well known that the youngsters are much better at calculating tactics, while the elders are better at strategy. This reminds me of the two types of intelligence (IQ): crystalised and fluid. The tactics is the fluid intelligence, where you are able to do rapid calculations better, while strategy is the crystalised intelligence, where you have built up pattern recognition over time and get a better feel for the game. This really does pan out in the game. The sweet spot for the decline in chess playing strength is about 40 years of age. The top players generally start to go downhill from there. The atrophy of calculative ability reduces their win rate.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
There were tons of youngsters in the tournament. Loads from ethnic backgrounds. A disproportionate number of Asians, be they from oriental or Indian descent. In those 6 games, I played one adult guy who looked Japanese, an Indian looking 10 year old girl and an Indian looking 10 year old.boy.