How many genders are there?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
In the news recently, there was someone who wanted to alter their age. Their argument was that people can change their gender identity, so why not age. They felt discriminated against due to their age, being in their 60's I believe. Imagine being younger than your children - some kind of time travel! All I can say is I hope they lose their pension in the process!

Uncle, if you want to find out where you lay on the continuum of masculine thinking verses feminine thinking, you might be interested in this post: https://themindtavern.com/community/threads/what-sex-is-your-brain.204/

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
I'm going to go "authoritative" for just a couple of seconds.

< authoritative >
"Sex" is the checkbox that has an M or an F next to it on every government form I've ever seen. NONE of them ask for your gender. All of them ask about your sex. If the USA government calls that "sex" then fine. M and F on a form is your "sex" and that's good enough for me as a name for that which is determined by your plumbing.
< / authoritative > :D

Gender goes beyond simple plumbing. Gender includes obvious and subtle behavioral cues. It might have been obvious from the get-go but I have never interpreted Gender to be anything other than Gender Identity. My answers have never deviated from that viewpoint though I have tried to adapt. But the truth is, people don't behave according to their plumbing. They behave according to their wiring. How many genders are there? As many as there are different kinds of brain configuration in the areas that relate to sexual behavior.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).
I'm sure the definition never used to be that! Is it Google being politically correct or is it that pressure has been brought to bear on the lexicon of all things relating to gender?

The current definition fits into your perspective Doc, although I don't agree with it!

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Actually, I suspect that it wasn't "political correctness" that got involved. The puritanical Christian fundamentalists don't like the word "sex" because as they keep telling us, sex is dirty. But they rarely like it when I respond with "It is dirty only if done right."

Insane_AI

Founding Member
Actually, I suspect that it wasn't "political correctness" that got involved. The puritanical Christian fundamentalists don't like the word "sex" because as they keep telling us, sex is dirty. But they rarely like it when I respond with "It is dirty only if done right."
I usually tell them that God wouldn't have given us pleasure sensing nerves if we weren't supposed to enjoy it. Furthermore, "Go forth, be fruitful and multiply" pretty much tells us to bang it out as much as possible(*)