History, being ‘disrespectful’ and the PC brigade

More so photos taken in places associated with mass genocide. Is it disrespectful? The reason we teach history is to not forget - in the hope that we won’t make the same mistakes again.

I have heard/read many people saying it’s disrespectful to take pics in such places. Why do you think that is the case for many?

Bee

Founding Member
Perhaps it's not so much the taking of pictures, as the irreverent behaviour that accompanies it from time to time? For example, the 'funny' caption that went with Lord Sugar's tweet, or the group of students goofing around on a war grave.

There's a difference also between action and intent. Sometimes actions cause offence where there was no intent to. Sometimes actions cause offence and there was every intent for that outcome. And some people have elevated taking offence to a professional level.

‘Offence’ is also a curious one. Sometime people use that as a ‘mask’ when it comes down to making another person feel uncomfortable. My view is - offence is taken and not given.

Bee

Founding Member
It depends on intent (we may have a circular argument thing going on here). If the intent is to encourage debate, then I am more likely to overlook the arsehattery. If there's malice behind the provocation, then it's them being an arsehat in my opinion.

You are right, offence is taken - but it is possible to be insensitive, ignorant, bigoted, or just plain rude (or any combination) which increases the likelihood that someone will find something to be offended by.

But I also agree that some people use the offense ticket to either increase their superiority, or perceived power over another.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Communication is a two way process with feedback loops. You can't say it is all one side and not the other. However, we can introduce the concept of threshold levels. Above a certain point, some behaviour increases the risk of causing offense. I believe that in this modern environment, that minimum threshold level for causing offense has plummeted.

It is all too easy to "offend" now, even though I believe it is faux offense. The offended feel like they should be offended, even if they aren't really. It will just end up decreasing levels of happiness as society walks on eggshells, constantly accidentally offending people. The micro-offense police will be out in force.

Bee

Founding Member
However, we can introduce the concept of threshold levels. Above a certain point, some behaviour increases the risk of causing offense. I believe that in this modern environment, that minimum threshold level for causing offense has plummeted.
Or possibly our tolerance to things which are offensive has lowered?

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
As it is part of the thread title, the "PC" movement is a part of this discussion. Whenever I hear someone use a PC excuse or comment, I have to ask myself whether the problem is that the comment is truly offensive or that the PC commenter didn't want to face the argument because that person feared losing the debate. Taking offense could be merely a way to deflect a line of questioning. (Not saying it always happens as an avoidance method, but that it could happen.) The increase in taking offense could merely be that someone saw the tactic work for someone else and thought to give it a try.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Bee, I think what you said is the same as what I said.

Doc, I agree with you. Calling everybody racist at the drop of the hat is commonplace in America now. It is just a weak attempt to slur someone without addressing the argument.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I think you were talking more about intent before than thresholds. So I thought I would bring a different lens to the equation.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Oh, darn, and I try SO hard to not be a man-splainer. My dear Linda only lets me 'splain once on an topic before she gets out the wet rubber chicken.