Happiness - what is it and how can you get it?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Surely most people's key goal in life is to be happy. Yet it escapes many. Even if you are happy, there are degrees of happiness, since it can be viewed as being on a spectrum, from miserable (1 out of 10) to bliss (10 out of 10).

What do you think constitutes being happy and how can you improve your happiness quotient.

Lez

Firstly you have to work out why you are unhappy, then you have to make changes! Its so easy to sit back and be miserable and blame other people or a situation, we are all in control of our own happiness. My most recent change is to hand my notice in, I have been with my company for 17 years and feeling very unhappy in my job for numerous reasons. I was scared to walk away from a good salary but in the end I made a decision on Sunday evening that enough was enough so I got up the next day and walked in the office and resigned! I dont have a job to go too, I have no idea what I want to do next, but I feel great :) I am two weeks into my three month notice period and I cant wait to see what come next in my life!!

Bee

Founding Member
I think happiness is both intangible and indefinable. It means something different to each of us. Some equate happiness with success. What does success look like? Some equate happiness with love, or belonging. I am happy and it comes from being comfortable with who I am. I'm kind, but I can be a jerk. I'm compassionate, but can be thoughtless. I'm independent, but sometimes just want someone else to tell me things will be okay. In short, for all my positive qualities, there are things I'm less good at - and I'm accepting of that fact.

My favourite poem is called The Orange, by Wendy Cope. It sums up what happiness means to me:

At lunchtime I bought a huge orange—
The size of it made us all laugh.
I peeled it and shared it with Robert and Dave—
They got quarters and I had a half.

And that orange, it made me so happy,
As ordinary things often do
Just lately. The shopping. A walk in the park.
This is peace and contentment. It's new.

The rest of the day was quite easy.
I did all the jobs on my list
And enjoyed them and had some time over.
I love you. I'm glad I exist.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
I am family oriented. I can find happiness in snuggling with my dear wife, who is my snuggle-bunny. We will watch TV or put on a DVD movie. Or sometimes I'll be reading the local news rag on my recliner sofa when my younger grandson spontaneously comes into the den and lies down on the sofa with a book he is reading. He'll put his head on my lap or sit upright but slumped with his back against my shoulder, because he is getting at that age where "big boys don't cuddle" but he still enjoys a familial touch. In either of those circumstances, ask me if I'm happy. If you can't tell by the silly grin on my face.