Great dinner recipes

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I was on YouTube yesterday looking at a few recipes, since I have tired of ready-meals recently. Getting a few decent easy to create meals appealed, so I can add them to my stack, waiting to be called upon when needed. Once you find a good new recipe, it can notch up your standard of living, adding to the increments from other great recipes you found.

So here is mine today. I can't wait to try it out! I am using single cream instead of creme fraiche since the supermarket was out of stock.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
My dear wife Linda is a true Cajun cook. She was born in the heart of bayou country in the small town of Thibadaux, Louisiana, and learned her cooking from her mother who was born in Chac Bay, Louisiana. So she got her skills via a legitimate and authentic route. When she cooks up her jambalaya, it goes down really well.

Those of you who have ever heard the song "Jambalaya" will know that it is mentioned in the chorus, "Jambalaya, crawfish pie, file' gumbo, ..." It is a dish based on "dirty" rice and various kinds of meats. Sausage and ham cubes are common, but shrimp might show up as well. Linda adds a special touch. If we are going to have jambalaya and some vegetables, she drains some of the liquid from the canned vegetables and adds that to the rice when cooking. That causes the rice to have more flavor than if you just added water. If she knows she is going to make a big batch of jambalaya, she will collect the brine from several cans of veggies during the week.

The hardest part of making jambalaya is that to do it right, you don't make a small batch. That's too much like work. But it freezes well once cooked so you can save more for another meal. Jambalaya with spinach or peas and some garlic bread? Now that's a Cajun dinner. And quite authentic.

Last edited:

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I have tried jambalaya before. If I recall correctly, it had chorizo in it? I am not into shrimp or other crustacia, and much of the jambalaya ready-meals I have seen tend to have them in it.

How does Cajun cooking differ from other styles of cooking? Lots of paprika?

My creamy pork meal last night was nice, by the way.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
True jambalaya will have pork sausage but chorizo is the wrong ethnicity and would toss off the spices. Smoked Cajun-style sausage might be mistaken for chorizo visually but the spice balance in the ground-up content would be different. Ideally, jambalaya would only have pork sausage or deer sausage, but pork meat chunks (like ham cubes used for cooking seasoning) are not uncommon. Beef sausage would work but would not be "authentic."

As to spices: Paprika is a middle-European or eastern European spice and is a very mild pepper on the (logarithmic) Scoville scale, sitting in the 50-100 range. We almost never use that. True Cajun dishes, if meant to be peppery, would use ground up cayenne pepper, which is in the 50,000 range. The compromise is Tabasco sauce, which is rated at 3500-3750 on that scale.

For comparison, the pepper spray used by police has been rated at 5,300,000. Pure extract of capsaicin is 16,000,000, and there are a couple of chemical extracts from certain naturally growing Moroccan sponges that are in the 15,000,000,000 range. The extract is resiniferatoxin and you just know that anything with "toxin" as part of its name will NOT be pleasant.

Cajun and Creole cooking will be characterized by base content as well as spice mix. To be honest, Cajun and Creole, though having different origins, are related by a certain commonality. They are based on things local to the areas in question. Cajun cuisine is limited to the bayou country of south Louisiana (in origin) while Creole cuisine comes from both wetland AND non-wetland origins.

True Cajun cooking will use the creatures found in the Louisiana wetlands, which includes wild boar, goat, deer, duck, chicken, fish, shellfish, crustaceans (such as shrimp or crawfish a.k.a. crayfish, French ecrivisse), and less likely things such as "alligator gar" (a type of fish like a barracuda), nutria (a.k.a. coypu, a very large South American member of rodentiae), alligator, turtle, and maybe a few other critters. Nutria is NOT native to the area but was introduced to control vegetation. It has been adopted as a gamy but edible meat source, kind of like rabbit and racoon. Beef, however, is not on the Cajun menu that often because in the wetlands, cattle tend to sink into the mud and drown. Since Creole cuisine is not limited to wetland origins, some beef dishes MAY show up in recipe books, but the cattle kept in this area were mostly for dairy production.

Creole and Cajun have in common this fact: The recipes originated in a time when refrigeration was not common. You couldn't afford to ship ice to south Louisiana and the compressor-based cooling devices were few and far between. SO ... you could tell how old your base food was by how much pepper had to be added to it to cover the fact that you were eating food that wasn't fresh-killed. Fresh killed? Mild. Getting older? Add a little bit of tabasco sauce. Getting rank? Pour in the cayenne. A side effect of that lack of refrigeration is that you had to catch your food locally because you couldn't go down to the corner market to pick up something from the cooler/refrigerated aisle. In follow-up to your question about paprika: we didn't use paprika that much because it wasn't grown locally and would have had to have been shipped in. But Cajuns were poor country people who had to live off the local available food sources. If you see a modern recipe claiming to be original to south Louisiana and it contains paprika, it is Creole and originates from a non-wetlands area.

Other spices commonly used in the area included file' which is derived from the plant that gives us sassafras. Tomatoes will grow anywhere that you have water, light, and soil, so they are common. Rice grows well where water ponds are abundant, and we can use certain types of cane syrup as sweeteners if needed. Salt is locally found (we have salt domes) and we can grow some types of fruit in this soil. Black pepper would have been imported initially so isn't quite as common as tabasco or cayenne peppers. This may be apocryphal but it is said that okra was introduced to the area by slaves who had used okra seeds as a hair decoration.

Styles include boiling, roasting, broiling, baking, frying - but since the people were "living off the land," they would cook based on what they could get. Except for wild hogs and goats, animal fat wasn't commonly available so deep-fat frying wasn't that common at first. Boiling is actually the easiest since we have abundant water that is potable once boiled thoroughly. Therefore, boiled and peppery seafood dishes would be considered authentic and old-style original to the area. The modern "crock pot" cooking methods that involve putting something on a long, slow boil came from the idea that we didn't have fancy-schmancy microwaves or intelligent ovens or high-tech, high-temperature ceramic tops. We could not cook anything fast, because wood-burning stoves were the only things we could use and they don't get as hot as the high-tech stuff. So we boil meat and use water-based immersion for a lot of preparation.

As an example, look at a New Orleans favorite: Red beans and rice with sausage. You boil the beans all day until they get caramelized. When it first starts to boil, add crushed or chopped (but not powdered) bay leaf to the beans and stir. Chop up the sausage and add it to the beans. Stir. When the beans have caramelized, keep cooking. (If this doesn't take hours, you are rushing it.) When getting ready to serve, boil the rice separately. Plate the rice. Ladle on the beans and sausage mix. This was a traditional Monday dish because Monday was laundry day. So you start the cooking fire, put on the beans, and then start washing. When your first washing batch is done, check the beans to be sure they still have water. Go do more washing. Check the beans. Do the wash ... you get the idea. Variations on this theme would put ham cubes in the beans and would then broil or pan-fry the sausage to be served beside the rice & beans. And this should tell you something about Cajun cuisine.

Last edited:

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Doc, you seem to know a ton about Cajun cooking! I know there was a scale for chilli hotness, but didn't know it was applied to other foods too. The Scoville scale, I will have to remember that. Good to know where things lay in the continuum of strengths. I assumed Cayenne Pepper and Paprika would have been similarly hot, but that is probably due more to it looking similar than any underlying knowledge about them.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
The difference between paprika and cayenne is the difference between the peppers that were ground up to make the seasoning. According to wikipedia, paprika comes from a variety of "sweet bell pepper" (which is a member of the Capsicum genus, biologically speaking) whereas Cayenne pepper is a different variety of the genus & species Capsicum annuum. Apparently, peppers from the Capsicum family are called "cultivars" which is, I think, the pepper equivalent to having different kinds of dog breeds that are all Canis domesticus.

Even with my liver issues I can tolerate pepper quite well, with one or two exceptions. The hottest pepper I have ever eaten is a sichuan variety in the Zanthoxylum family. Did it only once. Won't do it again. But I won the bet and the guy who made the bet officially decided I was nuts. (Privately, I had to agree with him.)

I had a friend who knew how to cook using ghost peppers, which are the hottest known actual peppers. It is believed that they are hybrids of Capsicum chinese and Capsicum fructesens. They originate from India in the northeast states of that country. In essence, you use the finely ground dried pepper skin. By "finely" I mean powdered no larger than ground black pepper flakes. You use the smallest chemist's spatula (usually about the size of a baby's fingernail) to drop a very small amount of the powder into at least a couple of gallons of water. I've only tasted one of his dishes made that way and all I can say is, DAMN I'm glad he didn't use two scoops.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Hah, it sounds almost impossible for something to be that hot. But I remember at a food fair they had this chilli stall. They had a range of different strengths of chilli sauce. With the hottest, I put literally a pin-pricks worth on a cracker and I was choking to death! The hotness was astonishing!

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
If you ever visit the New Orleans French Quarter, there are a couple of restaurants that have graded pepper sauces, some with 3 or 4, but one that has 20 distinct grades. The Food Network show Heat Seekers featured chefs Aron Sanchez and Roger Mooking as they tried to find spicy foods. They had some kind of bet going in that particular New Orleans eatery. Aron won by not throwing up when he sampled the 20th (and hottest) sauce. Roger, on the other hand, could not keep down the sample.

Insane_AI

Founding Member
We have a tradition of making the kids cook once a week during senior year. This Friday our son served us salmon caught by his friend and dad poached with tarragon, lemon and Washington state Riesling. (it's a bit green apply and sweeter than a normal Riesling) The side dish was a cumin and turmeric long grain and wild rice pilaf. Blackberry and Peach pies for dessert.

Last week we experimented with Bison, Elk and kangaroo from a specialty meat shop that opened nearby.

Intriguing. How did the exotic meats come out?

I respect that your son cooked up some salmon for you. I once cooked fresh flounder for my dad. For some reason, ever since I was a child, I simply have not cared at all for salmon. I've tried them from places that supposedly had great salmon recipes, but I can't get into the texture somehow. My aunt's salmon croquettes probably didn't help because she was a backwoods Alabama woman cooking a fish dish not native to her area.

I'm sure it's OK. Each region has its dish that nobody really wants to touch. I have no interest in escargot, and I'm sure very few people would care to eat nutria (particularly if they saw pictures).

Insane_AI

Founding Member
Bison meatballs spiced with a "Chicken Shawarma" spice blend from the local Lebanese shop. Topped with diced tomato and red lentil sauce with caramelized onions was the best.
Elk Nachos - second favorite flavor, most favorite reference. This was one of the meals my wife tried in Yellowstone National Park with her dad.
Bison Biryani was good but too much heat for the flavor. Good meat, too much heat. Needed some yoghurt to cool it down.
Kangaroo Jerky was good but not special enough to justify the $6.00 / ounce price.

When people tell me they won't eat something I like I don't get offended; I think more for me!

AI, I definitely understand the "more for me" viewpoint and often share it.

The "Shawarma" bison meatballs sounds good. I might have enjoyed the biryani since I like spicy foods. I've eaten venison from deer but not from elk, so can't compare. But then again, I'm from Cajun country. The story here goes that a Cajun will eat damned near anything. Since they eat nutria and alligator and garfish, I tend to believe it.

Not awfully surprised that kangaroo wasn't so good. Once a long time ago, I had a fleeting chance to visit down under for a company contract, but it fell through before we finished the negotiations. During that time I learned that 'roos are highly territorial and we would have had to erect enclosures in 'roo country. During that discussion, we learned that nobody eats 'roo that much because they tend to be stringy and their meat has a lot of connective tissue.

Actually, Bee, that is similar to the advice for alligator tail, one of the better parts of the 'gator. The folks who cook with it say that when done propertly, tail cuts are similar to veal. They also say that jowls are good and meaty (I think because the 'gator's jowl muscles are what gives it that crushing grip strength). Shoulder and hip roasts aresupposedly good. Belly meat is not so good, and if you EVER fail to remove the inner membrane (a.k.a. "silver skin") then what you cook is unpalatable.