Eating fish - the new evil?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
There is often much moral debate about the cruelty of eating the flesh of animals. I get it, I love our furry blighters! But I detect double standards. There are many pescetarians out there who love to chomp on fish. And here is where the crux of my argument comes in...

The way fish are treated is far less human than the way animals are stunned and then murdered. The poor fish are left to suffocate, a nasty death and something I fear myself! In my case, the thought of going of a bridge in my car, plunging to the depths of the ocean and not being able to get the doors open, while the car floods with water. Nasty! Yet, the same thing is happening to the fish, as they are thrown on deck in the nets, left to writhe in agony before their last gasp of...actually, I am not sure what they gasp!

So next time you are in the restaurant and you say, "I'll have the Bass", should you hang your head in shame, just like those who order the foie gras?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Two good buddies of mine used to drool over foie gras. I couldn't do it. Then again, I don't like pate anyway! (They used to hate me calling it pate!).

Insane_AI

Founding Member
Proper foie gras isn't pate; pate is ground liver whereas foie gras is more like a force fed liver steak.
(Okay, I'm getting tired and having more fun with this than I probably should)

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, they were telling me that too, but I used to say it to wind them up. It was their delicacy, while it was my fun.

I remember going to a Michelin star restaurant in London where they had foie gras and a host of other strange sounding things on the menu. I chose the "veal sweetbreads" as I thought it was the least offensive sounding thing on the menu. I figured it must be a veal bagal, something like that. Wrong. It's the spleen! :eek:

Insane_AI

Founding Member
My first career choice was culinary arts. I started at my mom's hip, moved on to bussing & dishes then prep and line cook to culinary school and management. I've made the front page of the food section in our major local paper and had a few recipes published in neighborhood newsletters. Now I'm a foodie and I will try anything I haven't had before and even some things I've tried and not liked in the past. (Go figure, I.T. was my fallback from restaurants.)

Good for you on eating adventurously, even if by accident. Enjoy your pate.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Ah a fellow foodie! I do love my food too. My best mate when I was younger preferred the cigarettes to going out for something to eat. He did enjoy the local kebab van though! (Ahem, I am guilty of that too!)

I started going through a cookery course online recently. Learnt a few good things and dishes. It is great when you get a new dish that is a keeper. It bumps up your standard of living!

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
In New Orleans, our cuisine is widely varied because of our "eight flags" heritage. We have had immigrants from Ireland, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, England, and there are also the Native Americans (Choctaw nation) in our area. There is also a touch of African cooking from the slaves and their descendants. The latter cooking style is essentially African methods practiced on the food that was locally available before refrigeration become a way to get beef to the area. (Cows with sharp hooves tend to sink in the swamps...)

Fish is local staple of Creole cooking. Also other seafood such as oysters, crabs, and shrimp. And crawfish. (For the French cuisine types, ecrevisse or "crawdads"). Not to mention alligator tail and wild pig.

I have no shame when it comes to eating fish. To me, putting them in a confining aquarium that needs constant cleaning and filtration is the greater cruelty. (Which is perhaps why I am not totally against the death penalty, either.)

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
This is interesting. A discussion on the morality of killing fish has turned into a culinary gastronomique affair. :p

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
<><

#metoo

Edit: It appears that the symbols on the first line of my post are not clear on some devices. They are meant to represent a fish!

Last edited:

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
No doubt, the use of the hashtag will tire with time, and then it will be a faux pas to use the thing.