Attachment to material things

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I have a couple of old Microsoft Access books that I am contemplating throwing out. I think one is called Access Bible or something. It is a big thick book with getting on for 1,000 pages. I used these books a lot back in the day. But, I never use them now. But I have resistance to throw them out.

What should I do?

[Unfortunately the same applies to lots of other books I have and don't use anymore!]

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Know the feeling. For me, part of the reluctance is that Hurricane Katrina destroyed so many of my books that were in boxes in my back garage and I didn't have the choice, so I am really hesitant to let go of anything else. Yet there were times when I let things go voluntarily that didn't affect me with even a slight twinge of regret.

Bee

Founding Member
I have the Excel Bible. Still. I used to use it a lot, but my job (and Excel) has changed over the years and now it's not used at all. It's survived 6 house moves, but I will be recycling it.

When I moved house in December, I downsized and simplified. Getting rid of a lot of 'stuff' was very cathartic and now my home is a reflection of who I am, rather than several people's lives crammed into a space.

The Arts & Crafts designer, William Morris, once said:

"If you want a golden rule that will fit everybody, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

Uncle Gizmo

Founding Member
What should I do?
I have numerous books many, most I have never read! As in technical books as in MS Access books, ASP books! I don't know how true it is, it seems true, however I do understand that these books even if they are older, are valuable to people in third world countries basically because they don't get good internet access. I've never been able to bring myself to throw out my books. Mind you, I've never been able to bring myself to throw out anything!

What I have done is sign up for safari Books Online, which I notice has recently changed to:- O’Reilly https://www.oreilly.com

It's absolutely brilliant, I can quickly and easily find information on many technical subjects. There are also numerous video lessons, some I've seen cost hundreds of pounds on other platforms. I am currently learning Flutter, again following a video lesson on safari which is now over O’Reilly!

Oh! Edit! What should I do? - Sign up to Safari - (O’Reilly) and get rid of your books!