Are anti-discriminatory laws discriminatory?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I just read an article a minute ago where a young lad wanted to emulate his father by becoming a police officer. But, he was turned down because he wasn’t disabled, gay or black.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...25-turned-police-isnt-disabled-gay-black.html

Is it now a disadvantage to be able-bodied, straight or white when it comes to finding employment? Should we be choosing job applicants based on their sexual preferences and skin colour?

I can imagine it now..."Mr Lawrance, do you prefer to be on all-fours or are you the giver? I have some crocodile clips ready for our skills-based interview."

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
In the USA, we have seen this phenomenon, which appears under headlines of "Reverse Discrimination" - and in many court cases, it has been held to be illegal. It has led to some seriously bitter arguments. We used to say that when it was time to lift the hiring freeze in our department, the perfect candidate would be a half-black, half-Oriental gay paraplegic with one eye and a harelip.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
With that combination, they would probably be fast-tracked to CEO.

I haven't even touched on the likelihood that when you choose from a small pool of candidates, rather than a large pool, you are likely to get a less able, lower qualified person.