Ancestry DNA

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I am tempted to check out my origins. Watched a YouTube video today where they were saying their father was 100% Scandinavian, so they thought they would be perhaps half Scandinavian. They took the test and found they were Spanish! Shock! So, tempted myself.

Anyone here done it?

Bee

Founding Member
I looked at it recently - but it's pricey and I have other things that are a priority at the moment. I would probably do it though. I'm the first in my Dad's side of the family to have been born outside of Ireland, so I'd hope a DNA test would conclude the same.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
I'm not that interested because I can see family resemblances in the mirror. Therefore, my Ancestry.COM findings would probably be borne out. I would be some percentages of:

British (Essex) - Dad's patrilineal branch
Alsace-Lorraine region - Dad's mother's branch
Scottish/Irish - Mom's branch, both sides.

There is an outside chance of some Native American - but only an outside chance, and not enough to legally claim tribal membership. BUT if I could, it would probably be from either the Choctaw or the Cherokee Nations. I also might have a touch of true Spanish because some of the names appear to have been Hispanic in origin and prior to the Spanish proliferation in Central America and California. I wouldn't take bets on it, though.

My dear wife would probably show up with a lot of French ancestry, including a branch on her mother's side from Acadia, Nova Scotia (two lines) and a branch from New York, probably a Canadian who crossed the border on land rather than taking the boat ride to south Louisiana.