America is no longer a white Christian country

Bee

Founding Member
I found this video (it's 2 years old and prior to Trump's presidential victory, but I think it raises some interesting points. The UK is rapidly becoming a secular country. I know only 2-3 families who regularly attend church. In the UK, we often watch what is happening in the US, knowing that it's likely going to head our way - whether that be politics, social changes, technology, or even the weather!

American friends, what is your experience of the shifting landscape referred to in this video? (Let's not debate faith, we've talked about that elsewhere).

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
America is splitting into two as a country. The Republicans will be in their bunkers armed to the teeth with rifles, while the Democrats will be in theirs, protecting themselves with slurs and flowers. Sticks and stones will break my bones but slurs will crack my mind.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
The USA has always tried to separate religion and government. This split has caused more grief than I care to contemplate. To me it would be a good thing if we finally became an atheist country. I doubt this will happen in Europe anytime soon because of all the Muslim refugees. In another thread, Bee touched on feminism. I think a major step towards "leveling the playing field" for women is to dump the baggage brought on-board by Christianity. If the USA really IS becoming a non-Christian country, that might be good.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Yes, but Elizabeth Warren was outed pretty badly once it got out that she is less than 1/1024 Native American. That number is one such ancestor TEN GENERATIONS ago.

Biologists tell us there is no such thing as race. There can be inherited characteristics from your parents, but the ultimate test of being the same species is that your children can give you grandchildren. For humans, so-called mixed race families are just fine in that degree. For mules (the offspring of a female horse and a male donkey), no kids. Mules are sterile.

Saying "white" simply means that you THINK you know about your ancestry. But you might be wrong.

what equality looks like
It looks like what happens when a person's ability is not hindered by extraneous factors. It DOES NOT look like everybody being classified according to Aldous Huxley's Brave New World with an iron-clad, genetics-based caste system. Equality means that now, your success or failure is completely on your shoulders and you can't blame or praise anyone else for you being the person that you became.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I thought Brave New World was an iconic classic. A masterpiece of insight and extrapolation.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
No argument on the classic nature. But the book IS antithetical to personal freedom. Because in the nature/nurture argument, it is nearly 100% towards the "nature" side of the equation.

Still a valuable reference for this discussion (and many others).

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, if they were an alpha, beta or delta, their freedom was defined by these parameters. Their nature shaped what nurture to apply, so I suppose it depends on what nature/nurture argument we are employing.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Or was it that their NURTURE define what freedom they had? Because part of their life involved conditioning to be content with the fact that they were a Delta or Epsilon and had to deal with muck.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
These are indeed deep questions. I see it as a case of nested freedom cages, rather like Russian dolls. The larger context is their nature, since this defined the broader parameters within which they could operate. Next came the nurture, that imposed further constraints on their thinking, shrinking their aspirations like an elephant tied to a tree for the first 5 years of its life.