What really annoys you?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
This could be a good way to get the grumps out in the open!

I hate it when they stick a discount label over the description of a product so you don't know what it is! At the local supermarket the other day, I saw this ready-meal which was roughly half-price. It looked like some coconut curry of sorts, so I bought it. But I still don't know what it officially was, even after eating it. Idiots!

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
What really gripes me is that the price stays the same but they put a label claiming a bigger discount on it. However, in the USA, "truth in advertising" law would prevent that kind of camouflage from being common. Not that it is never done. But it isn't SUPPOSED to be done.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for replying to this thread Doc. I was getting really grumpy that people were ignoring it!

Bee

Founding Member
I was trying to think of something that annoys me. Not much does really, unless I've spent time explaining something to someone (usually in work), then they go and do the exact opposite of what I've explained. When people's safety is compromised because someone can't follow instructions, then I get really quite cross.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
What about going to pick up a takeaway chinese and they forgot to include a dish you ordered?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
One thing that drives me nuts is if I picked up a can of diet coke by mistake. I am full fat all the way. That diet stuff is rubbish!

I could write a book about the infuriating things done by Louisiana drivers, including the Cajun Left Turn. This maneuver is performed by turning left from the right lane of at least a two-lane (and often, three-lane) highway. It is further compounded by total failure to use turn signals and often confounds everyone when there was actually a dedicated turn lane (making it a four-lane crossover). And the icing on the cake is when there are signs with arrows showing the allowed turns for each lane.

However, karma DOES sometimes show up. I witnessed a guy driving a Cadillac El Dorado get T-boned by a Lincoln Continental because of the Cajun Left Turn. I decided I didn't want to do my civic duty as a witness in that case because both drivers appeared incredibly angry and the neighborhood was not friendly either. So I kept on going.

Bee

Founding Member
Doc - thank you - you just reminded me of the thing that is guaranteed to send me nuclear every time I see it. People driving while talking on their mobile (cellphone).

And hands-free is not actually that much better.

We had a case of a talking-on-the-cell-phone accident on the Interstate 10 on-ramp last month (or so). Tied up traffic for hours and made me glad I'm retired so don't have to drive to work any more. I'm with you on the cell phone stuff.

In fact, though it happens that I won a blue-tooth rig some time ago, I don't use it because the temptation to be distracted is too great. So I leave it at home and that makes me not bother to even turn on the cell when driving.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
What really annoyed me today was ordering a kebab, telling the lady I wanted lemon, she confirmed and then find there is no lemon when I get home. What a crock of ****.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Which is why when I go to the nearest fast-food drive-thru, I don't drive through. I park, get out, give the order at the desk, and then check it before I walk away. The establishment in question is notorious for getting orders wrong. And yet they gripe at drawing down minimum wage despite their minimum competence.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I frequently get out when going to a McDonalds. The new order screens are pretty good nowadays. But what annoys me is that when I decide to try one of their new burgers, I don't like them as much as my usual quarter pounder and I get buyers remorse!

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Understood. For me, there is the risk associated with a particularly greasy fast-food purchase. That will DEFINITELY lead to buyer's remorse, in no more than about 24 hours when the grease hits my digestive system that no longer has a gall bladder.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Sometime that annoys me today is doing my accounts, and there is a repetitive sequence of entries I have to do that would ideally suit a macro program. But that involves finding one, learning the damn thing and then setting it up.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
A recent "thing" that annoys me beyond belief and causes near-maniacal rage is the number-spoofing telemarketer. Apparently it is possible to spoof the "from" number that shows up on caller ID and make it look like it comes from your local area code and exchange number. Then they spoof the name that shows up. Sometimes the number they spoof is laughably familiar. Last week, our home phone got a call from my wife's cell phone. But I could see her in her recliner and she wasn't using her cell phone. (It was actually on the charger at the time.)

Needless to say, I lit into the live telemarketer. Told him he should be ashamed to work for such a scurrilous company that they are afraid to show who they really are, and also told him that if his company was ashamed of who they are, I certainly didn't want to do any business with them. I know it was probably like water off a duck's back, but at least I felt better afterwards.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I find those computerised telesales calls that have started recently. It sounds like a person, but you are actually speaking to a bot! They have pre-programmed responses, depending on what you say. So I ask some stupid question and their reply can't cope. That's all I need before putting the phone down.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Yep - they fail the Turing test. I once asked one of them "Are you a real person" to which there was a hesitation followed by "Of course I am." But it didn't take long to confound them.