Reading books - how many?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I am curious how many books you read per year and of what type.

Myself? I read a lot, but more often than not keep starting new ones without finishing the old ones! All the stuff I read is non-fiction, ranging from pop-psychology, to heavy going textbooks to business related material. One habit I want to work on is reducing the amount of useless TV and YouTube I watch, and instead switch that attention to some of the greatest books out there. A person's life experienced condensed into something so cheap has to be great value for money, with a significant payoff.

Bee

Founding Member
I aim to read 100 books a year - but on average manage between 60-70. Mostly fiction, but some text books and poetry. I also read books about art as well as biographies.

I do have a tendency to read the same books over again though. I read On Writing by Stephen King every year, as well as The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. I wish I'd written it.

This morning, I was chatting to a guy in the coffee shop about books (he was a librarian before he retired) and I've resolved to revisit Graham Greene, George Orwell, and Aldous Huxley before Christmas.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Is reading a book you have already read a bit like visiting an old friend? A certain comfort in it, like a cosy pair of slippers. Or in my case, socks and sandals. :LOL:

Bee

Founding Member
There is that comfort factor. But books also work on many levels and I can pick new things up each time I re-read a favourite.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Considering the Ebbinghaus "forgetting curve", when you revisit, you also further cement the information into your memory.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I just came across a great image for you guys. It is about "number of books read and perspective!

perspective by book count.jpg