Purpose of Prison

Bee

Founding Member
What do you think is the purpose of prison? Are are of those purposes more important?

Prison is the way with which society deals with criminals. Prison. Each crime carries with it a minimum and maximum sentence to take into account prevailing circumstances and context.

Prison has four key purposes: Punishment, Rehabilitation, Deterrent, and Retribution. I will deal with each aspect here, except for Retribution which will be a separate post.

Punishment: Prison removes the offender from society, therefore denying [his] civil liberties, and protecting society from the possibility of further crime. Therefore, punishment is meted out. You may disagree that the punishment fits the severity of the crime – but that’s why we have a highly developed justice system where legal brains far better than ours have refined statute and sentencing over centuries.

Rehabilitation:
Prison offers the opportunity for rehabilitation. Whether that comes in the form of employment skills, social skills, learning about alternative paths (such as religion) for living non-criminal lives. Not everyone wants to be rehabilitated and the cycle of re-offending runs deep, but shouldn’t we at least present the opportunity? And for persistent offenders, the sentences are adjusted to reflect the prevailing circumstances and context. You could therefore argue that rehabilitation has only a small chance of success based on the reoffending rates. Maybe. But people still do the lottery with much smaller odds.

Deterrent: Prisons provide warnings to people thinking about committing crimes, and the intention is that the possibility of going to prison will discourage people from breaking the law. I personally can’t even begin to think how terrified I would be of losing my civil liberties. My ability to make a cup of coffee when I choose. To go for a walk when I choose. To stop and smell the roses. You get the picture. Think about what you have done today. Have you had to ask permission from anyone to do those things – or have you just assumed you can? Now think about how incapacitated you would feel if all those little things we take for granted were removed.

Last edited:

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I would like the opportunity of a day off, playing games on my PlayStation without worry about how to put food on my table. So while you lose civil liberties going to prison, you can gain other advantages. Working all day to earn a crust while the prisoner is fed, watered and given recreation time makes me sometimes wonder who's civil liberties are being restricted.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
You left out one more aspect of prisons: Isolation. Society wants to remove its most disruptive and unruly members from its midst. When a person is behind bars, they are not out on the streets where they can perpetrate more mayhem. You put wild animals in a zoo. Not because you want them in a cage per se but that you don't want them roaming around your neighborhoods. So you isolate them in an enclave where they can live but cannot get to a place where they can do more damage.

This factor contributes to something you said about "Punishment" and "Rehabilitation." Our country wants to live by the ideals that we can determine a sentence to fit the severity of a crime. But law-and-order political campaigners get elected based on a get-tough-on-crime platform that usually results in escalation of jail sentences. The USA incarcerates more people per capita than any other nation in the world, and those politicians were elected on their attitudes towards criminals. Is society READY to recognize that punishment and rehabilitation have run their course for a given prisoner so that s/he CAN rejoin society? The Isolation factor runs counter to the "let the punishment fit the crime" attitude.

I would also point out that Deterrence isn't 100% effective either. People still commit crimes thinking they can "get away with it." And prison isn't even a good Deterrent for prisoners, since recidivism isn't 0. So the question of the purpose of prison gets more an more complicated as more and more people go back to their lives of crime.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
I propose harsh bootcamps that rewire character. Many of these people have been brought up with terrible role models through no fault of their own. Their criminal future can almost be predicted at birth, yet you cannot blame theme for being born in the wrong postcode when they have no say over the matter. Is this a case of cause and effect? They had no free will over their birth place, or their parents, yet these factors have a huge influence on their life outcome. The cause of their criminality was their enforced environment, rather than freedom of choice. While they had the latter, the influence of the former is statistically overwhelming.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Bootcamps have worked in the past, but you have to do it while the kids are young and still somewhat malleable. Catch them too late and the bootcamp doesn't help much.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Is there data to support that view? I am always shocked when I hear about boot-camp participants leave after a few weeks, instead preferring to go back to prison for an extra year or so to avoid the heavy going conditioning they are subjected to. It must be too cushy in prison!

Bee

Founding Member
You left out one more aspect of prisons: Isolation. Society wants to remove its most disruptive and unruly members from its midst. When a person is behind bars, they are not out on the streets where they can perpetrate more mayhem. You put wild animals in a zoo. Not because you want them in a cage per se but that you don't want them roaming around your neighborhoods. So you isolate them in an enclave where they can live but cannot get to a place where they can do more damage.
I think that this point deals with that:

Punishment: Prison removes the offender from society, therefore denying [his] civil liberties, and protecting society from the possibility of further crime.

The_Doc_Man

Founding Member
Bee: You listed four issues for prison: Punishment, Rehabilitation, Deterrent, and Retribution

Granted, the punishment element removes the offender from society, but the real punishment is suspension of civil liberties. I see the separate factor that you also isolate the person from society as protection for the rest of society. I see that as a fifth issue for prison (or for executions).

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
How about a sixth? The opportunity cost of the money spent looking after the prisoner verses it spent on something else.

Another story for reference, a Robert A Heinlein novella titled "Coventry" about setting aside an inescapable place where you send criminals. No bars, no guards, not much of anything. If you live for as long as your sentence, you can return to society. If not, one of the other inmates took care of business and "saved the taxpayers some money."

Or yet another Heinlein special, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress in which the Moon becomes a penal colony. There, you toe the line because if you don't, you don't get your ration of air.

And let's not forget that Australia was once a penal colony because it was thought to be cheaper than building so damned many prisons. Again with the idea of putting people away from genteel society without actually having to put a bullet through their brain.